Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are there any moms in Clarkesville TN who can help a mother there?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 252 Total Views

Looking for anyone in Clarksville, TN who can help a mother keep her baby.  She needs an advocate, someone to go with her to give her moral support.  Another victim of 'safe haven" legislation.

A few hours after the birth she was pressured to leave her baby in the hospital under "Safe Haven" legislation.  Baby brokers and hospital staff pressured her -- and the hospital discharged her the same day she gave birth!   Long story, but she is separated from her husband,  he demanded she get an abortion, she let him think she had got one so he would not abuse her further, and the hospital and adoption agency got her scared about him abusing her if she left the hospital with her baby or he found out about the baby. 

Extreme coercion -- she never got the chance to recover from birth before making ANY decisions.  She needs support and help in getting her baby back.  Please PM me if you can help.

When she left the hospital, they told her she had 30 days to get her baby back -- now they're saying that if she tries, she will face criminal charges and child proteciton will take the rest of her children away from her too. She desperately wants her baby back but feels massive guilt and shame, like "What kind of mother would leave her baby in the hospital?!?"  (answer:  One that is affected by birthi/pregnancy hormones!, unable to think, and manipulated by agencies)

Is there anyone who can help her?  

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 1:58 AM

It seems to me that this mother needs to bite the bullet and get her baby back. She needs to call their bluff. Of course that's easy for me to say, I'm not gambling with my children.

Sheppy
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Can you refer her to a local legal aid office? 

PortAngeles1969
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Call their bluff.

Hospital social workers can not predict that Child Protective Services will take the other children - only CPS can determine that.  And if the other children are at risk at least with CPS the law is that parents who are willing to accept services must be provided services.

From the sounds of it, the issue is not neglect or abuse by the mother but rather worries about the husband/father.  So, this may end up being a blessing - having an agency say "the father cannot be in this household" - sometimes it's the push needed to leave an abuser (having to choose either the children or the man).

In either case, she still has rights to that child.  Take back your rights and deal with whatever folks throw at you - at least you are fighting for your children!!!

PortAngeles1969   www.postadoptioncoach.com

Group Owner:
Adoption
http://www.cafemom.com/group/adoption  
Group Administrator: Birthmoms http://www.cafemom.com/group/birthmoms

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)