Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seeing my family...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:25 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 419 Total Views
Tomorrow (Thursday) the kids & I are driving to DC from SC for my little sister's Saturday wedding! Soooo excited for her :)
But.... This will be the first time I've seen my family since I've been pregnant. Aside from my sister, everyone else has only known about my pregnancy for a month. I'm not worried about seeing them - I'm worried about them seeing me.
Everything feels a bit like a struggle right now & we've not spoken about my pregnancy much at all since there's so much going on with the wedding & they're still in a state of shock over my news.
There's no question in this post really. I just needed to share my anxiety & gather some strength!

Thank you for "listening."

Sydney xo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2jeffsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:22 AM

I'm happy to listen, and be a source of support for you. I hope all turns out well with your family.

LisaB2007
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM
Sidney, I hope your visit goes splendidly. With a wedding, many may not even ask...prayers for you and the kids to have an AWESOME time!
Lisa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hq9858
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I hope all goes well. Enjoy the wedding!

susie703
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I hope you have a wonderful weekend ~ how exciting that your little sis is getting married!  If anyone wants to discuss your pregnancy, maybe you can just reply that you don't want to talk about yourself, you want to keep all the focus on the beautiful bride & the wedding. 

Wishing you the strength & words to overcome your anxiety!

Susie

DVT
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I hope you enjoy your sister's wedding.  I think many of your family will be focusing on that instead of your pregancy. 

lysithea
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Have a safe journey. I hope that the wedding goes off without a hitch. Enjoy yourself.

drfink
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Have a great time at your sisters wedding. As has been suggested if any one does bring up your pregnancy ,doubting they  will on your sisters day ,just smile and say today is my sisters day and change the topic to the wedding. Ahead of time think of wedding day topics so you aren't caught off guard.Enjoy 

HereWeGoAgain9
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone! Oh yeah, I'm not so vain to think the focus would be on me. I'd LOVE zero of the focus to be on me, lol. I'm more concerned about how people will look at me, or oh, your husband couldn't make it? What are you having? That sort of thing, obviously not from family, but wedding guests. Of course I'm nervous to see family too. I hope we don't have a sit down & talk thing after the wedding. My mom is in high stress mode and discussing my pregnancy when she's already beyond stressed will not be good.
I'm probably overreacting. I'm so excited to be here & looking forward to wedding activities and the big day!!
We ran into my oldest brother in the hotel. That went smoothly. Fingers crossed.

Thank you, all of you, for the understanding, support & well wishes. It means so much to have people I can "talk" to.

Sydney xo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cedartrees4
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:05 AM

The one thing i can advise is that, at some point, let your mom know you are pregnant.  Moms can be the biggest source of support for keeping one's child, as the loss of a grandchild to adoption can be hugely distressing and traumatic if a grandma really loves that grandchild.  And, throughout history grandmas have been doing the majority of support of moms anyway, (even - around the worlld - the majority of childcare is actually done by grandmas, not by parents, and this healthy tradition continues through generations as retired persons do childcare while parents work).  But moms can really help it work out!  :) 

good luck seeing your family!  i hope everything goes well for you.

BeJuicy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I hid my pregnancy from my whole family besides my mom, dad and brother untill after she was born. I feel so foolish now for thinking they would be angry. They all support me and my decision and were more upset to find out I had hid it from them. They now ask for pictures all the time!

Im sure your family will stand behind you 100%. Thats what families are for. Good luck and I hope you have fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)