Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

screening tests for PTSD

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM
  • 25 Replies
  • 1098 Total Views

This checklist below is based on a standard screening test that was on the Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) website.  There is another one called the PTSD Checklist which is at http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kb/media/pdf/hw/form_ug4423.pdf.

A. Do you re-experience the loss (i.e. placement, surrender, relinquishment) of your baby to adoption in at least one of the following ways?

1. Repeated, distressing memories and/or dreams?
  2. Acting or feeling as if the event were happening again (flashbacks or a sense of reliving it)?
  3. Intense physical and/or emotional distress when you are exposed to things that remind you of the event?

B. Do you avoid reminders of the event and feel numb, compared to the way you felt before, in three or more of the following ways:

1. Avoiding thoughts, feelings, or conversations about it?
  2. Avoiding activities, places, or people who remind you of it?
  3. Blanking on important parts of it?
  4. Losing interest in significant activities of you life?
  5. Feeling detached from other people?
  6. Feeling your range of emotions is restricted?
  7. Sensing that your future has shrunk (for example, you don't expect to have a career, marriage, children, or a normal life span)?

C. Are you troubled by two or more of the following:

1. Problems sleeping?
  2. Irritability or outbursts of anger?
  3. Problems concentrating?
  4. Feeling "on guard"?
  5. An exaggerated startle response?

This is only a screening test, i.e. something you can bring to your doctor. Only psychologists and doctors (e.g. psychiatrists) can give an actual diagnosis. 

by on Jul. 24, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeJuicy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM
Thankyou for this! I have been wondering for awhile if I have PTSD because of my crazy dreams. I answered yes to A1 and C3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LisaB2007
by Member on Jul. 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM
Cedar,
Again, what a great help! I hope this can help a lot of natural mommies out there!
Lisa
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cedartrees4
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 3:03 PM

bumping up

susie703
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Hmmm....  I scored a 44 ~ moderate symptoms of PTSD...

vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Can't remember exactly what mine was, i think it was 65 or 66. I have no clue what that means.

Cedartrees4
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Here is a page about how the test is constructed, and what the scores may mean.

"PTSD Checklist (PCL) - National Center for PTSD"

I believe that all "consumers" of the services that the mental health profession attempts to provide should know as much as possible about whatever tools are being provided to them by this profession.  Such as this one.  It pays to be informed, also about the pros and cons of any option or treatment being offered, etc.

drfink
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I scored 63.Years ago I would have scored much higher even after lots of therapy.Then I lucked out with yet another new therapist .After several sessions he told me the reason my depression was almost untreatable was because I needed to be treated for PTSD also.He blamed himself for not catching it earlier.

vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I just retook the test. The score I went off was one that wasn't in the pdf format. I scored 66 again. Too bad they didn't have another question...does answering this test make you anxious and upset? my answer: yes. I have no idea why. I see that this one has the key at the bottom of it.

Thanks Cedar. You are always a wealth of information.

Cedartrees4
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Too bad they didn't have another question...does answering this test make you anxious and upset? my answer: yes. I have no idea why

Because it is a reminder of the trauma, perhaps?  One of the huge symptoms of PTSD is that reminders of the trauma are triggering. 

Lilia68
by on Oct. 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I went through the survey earlier today and scored on the high end of moderate.  I think my score would have been higher but there were questions that I just couldn't answer b/c I've done such good job of compartmentalizing everything adoption.  Do I avoid memories?  No, not at all.  I just don't allow myself to feel anything in the presence of said memories.  I seriously think I need a 12 Step program.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)