Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

looking for birthmother family

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 740 Total Views

My mother passed when i was about 4. her name is lois ann latona dunlap!!!!

I have never met her family before and would like to see if any one can help me with a search! I have her birthdate, last address,, her social security number! maybe all that could help. I would love to find anything about her:)

by on Nov. 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM

What country are you in?

vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Sorry, I'm not a morning person. Now that the cobbwebs are out:

Obviously, you live in the USA. If you have her maiden name (not sure if you gave a maiden or married) and last address, start there and look in the phone book for matching last names in the same area. If you know the date and location  of her death, look for an obituary either online or go to the library and into the archives. This will list her surviving relatives and then you can just call them or use and intermediary to make the first phone call.

vampporcupine

raised mom to 2, first mom to 1

extremecheer
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2010 at 7:35 AM

how do i look online for her obituary?

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM

try findagrave.com. I check there first, because to go to newspapers, and have someone archive for you can be costly! 

and for legwork -if youre not in the area where those records would be...I've used this site with alot of results! just dont say the "A" word there!  gasp!!

http://www.raogk.org/listing.htm

Our volunteers have agreed to do a free genealogy research task at least once per month in their local area as an act of kindness. While the volunteers of Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness (RAOGK) have agreed to donate their time for free, you MUST PAY the volunteer for his/her expenses in fulfilling your request (copies, printing fees, postage, film or video tape, parking fees, etc.).

RAOGK is a global volunteer organization. With over 4000 volunteers in every U.S. state and many international locations, we have helped thousands of researchers. Our volunteers take time to do everything from looking up courthouse records to taking pictures of tombstones. All they ask in return is reimbursement for their expenses (never their time) and a thank you.

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM

and a listing of more SS and death searches...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/35065/forums/read/2157164/Social_Security_Death_Related

please note- these links have not been updated in a long time! You may find some are 'gone' off the net.

Gracie06
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Quoting adopteeme:

Quote:

try findagrave.com

. I check there first, because to go to newspapers, and have someone archive for you can be costly! 

and for legwork -if youre not in the area where those records would be...I've used this site with alot of results! just dont say the "A" word there!  gasp!!

http://www.raogk.org/listing.htm

Our volunteers have agreed to do a free genealogy research task at least once per month in their local area as an act of kindness. While the volunteers of Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness (RAOGK) have agreed to donate their time for free, you MUST PAY the volunteer for his/her expenses in fulfilling your request (copies, printing fees, postage, film or video tape, parking fees, etc.).

RAOGK is a global volunteer organization. With over 4000 volunteers in every U.S. state and many international locations, we have helped thousands of researchers. Our volunteers take time to do everything from looking up courthouse records to taking pictures of tombstones. All they ask in return is reimbursement for their expenses (never their time) and a thank you.

What great search information.I love to read your posts ,as each time i am educated.I am going to check that site for my birthdads information. I know his name and birth date....I just like to reseach every corner.

Good Luck with your search for information about your birth family. I am an adoptee in reunion almoist 4 years.my birth father passed over 10 yrs ago and I am not trying to learn more about him. Good Luck to us both!

Hannah

CaptainCookie.
by on Nov. 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Good luck! I really hope you find them.

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM
Extreeme and Gracie,
are either of you searching states that have an intermediary program available?
I was just thinking, some states with CI program will "allow" a search/contact with extended family - 1/2 sibs, ect if the natural parent is found to be deceased.
My birthstate WA, would let me contact other family if and when my mom was gone.
Maryland my home state will not. The case is closed with no info given to you if the parent is gone. MD feels a need to protect them, even in death.

It's probably a mute point, because both of you have enough info to go further on your own.
Just wanted to point this out if either of you would like to have a buffer in contacts with surviving family members.
adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM
((hugs)) to you both, too. It hurts me to know of your loss in finding them gone too soon.
I'm so sorry. It must be very hard.
I helped a close adoptee friend of mine go through his parents possesions once he found them both deceased, and with no surviving family left to even share stories. It touched me deeply. I do hope you both can find pictures and memories and more from your families.
Gracie06
by on Nov. 10, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Quoting adopteeme:

and a listing of more SS and death searches...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/35065/forums/read/2157164/Social_Security_Death_Related

please note- these links have not been updated in a long time! You may find some are 'gone' off the net.

Found my birth fathers obituary!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN