Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intro: First time poster, long time kool aid drinker

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello everyone. 

First I want to say thank you to all the posters on here, I have been reading your heart wrenching stories and am so glad you all had the courage to share them here.

I was 21 when my first son was born.  I was a naive and very young 21.  I was not an addict, I did not come from an abusive home nor was there abuse in my past.  I was irresponsible with birth control and facing the fact that the baby's father (my high school long time love, my first love) had started a serious relationship with a member of my stepfamily without informing me. 

While dealing with the realization that I was pregnant, I was also mourning the loss of my first love.  He was also a young 21 year old. 

When I finally told my mother I was pregnant, she was upset.  There were fights and things said between us that should never be said to any human being.  But ultimately, instead of trying to figure out a way for me to raise my child with support, her stance was that I should give the baby up for adoption.  I know she thought it was what was best for me and my child. I was so broken at this point in my life that I just went along and "drank the kool aid".

I met with a counselor at Catholic Family Services who seemed kind and genuinely concerned for my well being.  She offered me counseling and showed me PAP files.  I was continually told how wonderful adoption was, how I was giving a wonderful gift to a family who desperately wanted a child, how my child would have the best life, a life I could not provide him.  I was NEVER seriously offered the option of keeping my child.  Oh sure, I knew I could if I wanted to, legally.  But then I would be poor forever.  The baby would be unhappy because we were poor.  There was never any real support for keeping the baby offered beyond the cursory, "are you sure you want to do this" nonsense. 

I met the AP's once and only once.  Which was fine because I felt like a science experiment gone haywire anyway.  I was not my true self, I was broken.  I was so disconnected from the entire adoption process that I finally settled on a AP who had the same first name as me feeling it was some sort of cosmic connection.  Ugh, make me want to barf thinking about it.

I signed all the pre birth, pre adoption paperwork, not really reading any of it.  After all, I had already made my decision, it was out of my hands, I couldn't disappoint my family or the adoption counselor, or the AP's.

I stated that I would like periodic updates on my chid's life including photos on a yearly basis and letters about his development and personality, it was agreed to. 

I gave birth with my mother and father in the room.  They were supportive, the staff of the hospital not so much in my opinion.  It is my staunch belief that the staff actually withheld pain relief from me because of the adoption, but that's another story.

I held my baby, my mother held the baby.  I loved him, I breathed him in.  I would not let him go for the 2 days I had him.  I signed paperwork, I had absolutely NO counseling whatsoever about what my options would be if I decided to keep him, other than it was my right to do so. 

I was unsure whether or not to have him circumsised and was told that OF COURSE I should and then they wisked him away and I never saw him again.

Since that time, I have received exactly two sets of photos of him unprovoked.  The first was about 3 months after he was born and the second was about a year after.  No letters that I was promised, no photos since then. 

That was 14 years ago.  I drank the kool aid they fed me in their laughable post-adoption counseling.  I was great, I was a saint, I was selfless, he was better off, what a gift I had given. 

2 years ago I searched on google with what information I had on the AP's.  I found them and emailed the mother asking for photos and/or an update.  She provided it.  That was it.  I found an article written by the AM about her adopted son.  She said she didn't want the BM in their life but when he was 18 it was his right to contact me, yada yada yada. 

Well that's my story.  I have stopped blindly regurgitating the selfless, saint model of who a BM is supposed to be.  I don't know for sure that I would have accepted help had real support been offered to keep my child.  I hope that I would have.  But as so many others have written, coercion negates any real choice.  I feel that I was passively and sometimes activiely coerced.

Thank you for letting me share.

by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (21-23):
Vikki77
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM
So sorry. :(

Quoting snowwillow:

Your story kind of sounds like mine only my child was 40 this year. I was told the same thing as you and lived a life of secrets and  lies until I found her in 2001. Up until then I had no idea if she was dead or alive. She was 291/2. Imagine having a 29 1/2 year old baby. At that time I had to confess to friends and extended family that I had given my daughter away. Only a hand full of people knew about her.  I never thought I was coersed but I know that I was lead to adoption by some people and when I (we) decided to take her home we told a long speach ending with you will have to pay the agency back. We were naive teens and a year and a half later we married, that was 39 years ago and 1 son later.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leenburke
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM
This is awful...I'm so sorry you had to go through this :-(

Quoting snowwillow:

Your story kind of sounds like mine only my child was 40 this year. I was told the same thing as you and lived a life of secrets and  lies until I found her in 2001. Up until then I had no idea if she was dead or alive. She was 291/2. Imagine having a 29 1/2 year old baby. At that time I had to confess to friends and extended family that I had given my daughter away. Only a hand full of people knew about her.  I never thought I was coersed but I know that I was lead to adoption by some people and when I (we) decided to take her home we told a long speach ending with you will have to pay the agency back. We were naive teens and a year and a half later we married, that was 39 years ago and 1 son later.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting snowwillow:

I never thought I was coersed but I know that I was lead to adoption by some people and when I (we) decided to take her home we told a long speach ending with you will have to pay the agency back.

Coercion at it's finest. Lying fuckers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)