Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stopping the forced removal of babies from intellectually disabled parents

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

Another horrifying article.  What I find exceptionally horrid is how social workers think they can fix the problem of the trauma, make everything "okay," with grief counselling." NO counselling can ever heal the forced surrender or taking of a baby for adoption.  The pain returns, again and again.

http://www.healthcanal.com/pregnancy-childbirth/33250-Stopping-the-forced-removal-babies-from-intellectually-disabled-parents.html

Taking a baby at birth because a parent "might" in the future "maybe" a risk if not supported properly, is terrible.  It is a life sentence of pain for the mother  

"There is very little evidence anywhere in the world that parents with intellectual disabilities abuse their children," says Professor Llewellyn. "More than that they are not understanding what's going on and not being given a chance to learn how to parent their children. We've shown in randomised controlled trials, as other researchers have, that parents with intellectual disabilities can learn to satisfactorily parent children."

Why aren't these parents given in-home supports? My mother got in-home support when she was old and fragile -- why can't the rights of capable parents be supported so that they get this support as well if they need it so they can keep their babies?  We all pay taxes to try to help families -- why aren't my tax dollars given to the families who need a bit of support to stay together?  I do not want to see any other mother suffer this pain -- i do not wish it on my worst enemy.

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)