Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook group Portrait of an adoption

Posted by   + Show Post

There's a Facebook group called Portrait of an adoption , the lady that runs it is an adoptive parent with an open adoption . She writes articles for ChicagoNow that are run through Huffington Post quite often .. anyway today she started an article series written with a birthmom with a very traumatic adoption story. its a three day article .. just wondered if anyone else belongs to this FB group and read it ... It is so very heartbreaking ... She is writing to bring the truth in adoption out in the open .... I don't know how to link the story though ... just join the FB group and its the most recent article on the page .... 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Replies (21-25):
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

From part 3:

I don’t know what I think will be accomplished by recounting my history.  I once thought that if people knew what had happened to my son and me, if they knew that abuse, cruelty and dishonesty are perfectly legal in the context of obtaining infants for adoption, the listeners would demand changes.  Yet not even the mental health industry acknowledges the pervasive, destructive aftermath of relinquishment on me and many other mothers.  How can the general public, conditioned to give immediate and unquestioned ascent to professional pronouncements and bombarded with clichéd adoption storylines, be persuaded to look beyond the rhetoric to the very real impact of adoption on those of us left childless, bereft and broken?

This is so profound, how eloqently she puts this. And then there are those that know, but refuse to admit it's true; Those that call us bitter, angry, old and out of touch. 

Perhaps some frightened young woman in my old shoes will read this and spare herself and her child untold grief and pain. 

This. This is what keeps me going. I'll never stop talking if I can save one women and her son from what happened to Casey and her boy. The haters can go eff themselves.

vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Exactly what I was thinking as I read it. I happened to be in my podiatrists office and was doing my best not to start sobbing.

Quoting onethentwins:

From part 3:

I don’t know what I think will be accomplished by recounting my history.  I once thought that if people knew what had happened to my son and me, if they knew that abuse, cruelty and dishonesty are perfectly legal in the context of obtaining infants for adoption, the listeners would demand changes.  Yet not even the mental health industry acknowledges the pervasive, destructive aftermath of relinquishment on me and many other mothers.  How can the general public, conditioned to give immediate and unquestioned ascent to professional pronouncements and bombarded with clichéd adoption storylines, be persuaded to look beyond the rhetoric to the very real impact of adoption on those of us left childless, bereft and broken?

This is so profound, how eloqently she puts this. And then there are those that know, but refuse to admit it's true; Those that call us bitter, angry, old and out of touch. 

Perhaps some frightened young woman in my old shoes will read this and spare herself and her child untold grief and pain. 

This. This is what keeps me going. I'll never stop talking if I can save one women and her son from what happened to Casey and her boy. The haters can go eff themselves.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

You had a rough day today. Those curent events/topics moms are a pretty rough bunch.

Y'know, I was taught to conduct home studies with pap to screen them as if it was MY child I would place with them. Does it help any that I do not "approve" all the pap I conduct studies on.

Quoting onethentwins:

From part 3:

onethentwins
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Nah, that lot don't bother me any. But thanks. I'm off to a support group tonight. It's called "Adopt Salon" and run by a wonderful woman who was in foster care for 6 years until she was adopted. It's funny because it's at the Agency I used when I relinquished, one of the reasons I know I don't have PTSD because I feel nothing about going back there. The really great thing about this group, unlike CUB that has very few members from the AP side of the triad, is that it's full of adopted parents and prospective adoptive parents who are there to learn how to be better parents to their adopted kids. It's nice.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

You had a rough day today. Those curent events/topics moms are a pretty rough bunch.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

That is nice

Quoting onethentwins:

Nah, that lot don't bother me any. But thanks. I'm off to a support group tonight. It's called "Adopt Salon" and run by a wonderful woman who was in foster care for 6 years until she was adopted. It's funny because it's at the Agency I used when I relinquished, one of the reasons I know I don't have PTSD because I feel nothing about going back there. The really great thing about this group, unlike CUB that has very few members from the AP side of the triad, is that it's full of adopted parents and prospective adoptive parents who are there to learn how to be better parents to their adopted kids. It's nice.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN