Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick question - CI programs

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:06 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 160 Total Views
Morning
I want to ask are any of you aware of States with the CI program that publish the numbers of cases opened with the CI program and the results?
Or, are we just getting the 'it's working just fine' feedback -run around from the agency about their success rates?

I know Oregon and RI? publish stats on OBC's ordered, processed, and # of contact preferences...is there such a thing with CI programs? I'll ask around with adoptee rights people I know. Can you ask around too please?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM
I think I might just get the list of approved CI's here and start to inquire about search.
And ask directly for their individual results before I decide if I want to part with up to $400 for their 'service'.
Because I said so just doesn't fly for me.
CaileighsMom608
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM

What does CI stand for?

vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I'd like to know this too

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

What does CI stand for?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onethentwins
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Yeah Mel, what are you talking about, i'm lost :D

Aislin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Confidential Intermediary Programs. I haven't heard of any data on them. I'm in a CI state so I will ask around though

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM
23 states have the CI process.

You've heard of the mutual consent registries where both the adoptee and bmom has to register to be matched.
The CI process allows for a state approved agent to petition the court to open your adoption file, decree,OBC, hospital records, ect. They will take the identifying info and search for the bmom. They will make contact with her (letter, phone, in person) and ask if bmom wants to be in contact with the adoptee. If the bmom says yes, identity is released to both the adoptee and bmom. If she says no- case closed. No info is exchanged.
When I started my search in '96 the cost was $350. It had to be paid in full before the records were opened.

I'm trying to see if any of the 23 states publish the results of the program.
Total of cases opened.
Total of no-finds, no contacts, as if they find deceased bmom.
Total of successful exchange of info.
Total of contact vetoes.

The legislature is taking the agencies word that this system works.
How do we know if they don't collect data?
Oh, and the CI system provides no OBC.
tezell78
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Yeah that seems fishy. We have the birth parents registry here. The bio parents can register and when the child turns 18, the records are open. I personally think that at 18 all records should be given to adoptee and bio parent.
I know in a lot of cases the bio parents are promised one thing then something completely different happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)