Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why didn't they just destroy OBC's?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM
  • 41 Replies
  • 869 Total Views
1 mom liked this
Why didn't they just burn/shred our OBC's once the amended LIE was issued?
What was the purpose of keeping them in existence if NO one could access them?
Why do they go thru the trouble of issuing an original - knowing- they have to issue a second one?

Wouldn't it be easier- cost effective- and reunion full proof if they just got rid of ANY paper trail?
Shesh, just the savings on payroll to "guard" their impregnable vaults, the man hours and supplies wasted on duplication.
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM

But aren't you glad this was not done!!!!!!! ??????? At least there IS a record.  I think the OBC is a legal document and therefore (like adoption records) must be preserved for 99 years -at least in my state; IDK about the law in other states.

There is an oppurtunity if presented to the Court to un-seal the record. Granted why should a Judge have this ultimate authroity- IDK either! seems very subjective and arbitrary to me. But truly- Thank God!!! these OBC were not destroyed in the process.

irishgal63
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

might  as  well  have, by  the  time  they  'black  everything  out ', AND/OR   not  telling  him/her  that  they

are  adopted .  I  have  2  aunts  that  have  'guilted '  each  of  their  adopted  daughters  into  NOT  looking

for  their  b-moms, until  the  adopted  mom  has  died, each  of  the  adopted  dads  have  died  already .

The  gap  'tween  me  &  my  (bio)family  is  widening, because  of  this,  I  left  Illinois  almost  5yrs.  ago, & 

have  no  desire, nor  intention  to  ever  go  back  there = too  much  negative, emotional  stuff  !

( I  moved  to  Idaho = LOVE  IT  HERE)    :-)

Fab74
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

The whole second BC sounds bogus to me. My daughter and her family had to jump through hoops and hire an attorney to get her US citizenship although she was adopted at birth by US citizens. I thought being born in Canada must've been the issue but it was in fact the issue of not having her oiriginal birth certificate. Adoption papers didn't suffice so it took over a year of legal filings to make things happen, further reiterating the importance of the OBC which must be why they don't destroy them. 

MoLLiy
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I get where you are coming from but I an extremely thankful that mine was not destroyed! If it had been I never would have found my birthparents.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
If they destroyed the originals it would give the appearance that they were doing something wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fab74
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

This thing with sealing the OBC is a great metaphor for adoption. It says let's hide the original document from everyone and pretend it never existed, as they do adoptees to their bparents and vice-versa. 

It's a joke because the destruction of a BC is illegal, even by the government. I just had a "conversation" with a bunch of mosty amoms on a different forum and mentioned how if the law trumped over one's biological identity, then how come we don't prosecute adoptees for searching and finding their bparents. 

Oooooh, the irony of adoption laws ...

Cedartrees4
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Falsification of a government document is a felony offence -- everywhere other than in faking birth records to state that people who adopt have given birth to the child they adopted.   Somehow committing a crime or being an accomplice to one is considered "okay" if one's doing it "in the name of adoption."  

Similarly, forceably take and withhold a newborn from a mother and you are committing abduction - but do it in the name of adoption and it's fine because "obviously" she didn't want or deserve her child anyway.  If she tries reporting it to the police and mentions adoption, they will tell her that no crime was committed and it is a "civil case." 

And an acquaintance of mine tried going to the RCMP in-person to report sexual abuse from her foster/adoptive family -- they dismissed her and said there was nothing they could do. She called another detachment and reported the same thing w/o mentioning adoption and they told her it was sexual assault and took her seriously.

Human trafficking and selling -- it's okay if you're doing it to adopt a child, according to the U.S. State Department. Otherwise it's considered to be a crime.  

Adoption excuses a multitude of crimes. 

CaileighsMom608
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I want my daughters OBC. When I called hte office of vital statistics the lady on the phone all but laughed in my ear when I explained that I wanted my daughter OBC.  She actually said well you arent her mother anymore so you cannot have it. 

I cried for 3 hours after that.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM

That does not make sense(besides that woman being a cruel b*tch!). Your dd was legally yours when you completed the paperwork in the hospital.

IDK about your state but most states have a form. Go online to your state's vital statistics registry and download the form. For "reason" its being requested, there should be a box that says "parent."

What I find odd too is, that I always get an extra set of OBC to give to the first parents. Most times they have said they don;t want it but I always keep the extras in the file in case they come back and change their mind later. The extra copies are there for them.

Can you check with the agency you worked with? maybe they have an extra one for you.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

I want my daughters OBC. When I called hte office of vital statistics the lady on the phone all but laughed in my ear when I explained that I wanted my daughter OBC.  She actually said well you arent her mother anymore so you cannot have it. 

CaileighsMom608
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The agency is looking for it.  They arent sure if they have one. i know its stupid but i want it i hate the fathers name will be on it.  But my daughter has a right to know that part of herself

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

That does not make sense(besides that woman being a cruel b*tch!). Your dd was legally yours when you completed the paperwork in the hospital.

IDK about your state but most states have a form. Go online to your state's vital statistics registry and download the form. For "reason" its being requested, there should be a box that says "parent."

What I find odd too is, that I always get an extra set of OBC to give to the first parents. Most times they have said they don;t want it but I always keep the extras in the file in case they come back and change their mind later. The extra copies are there for them.

Can you check with the agency you worked with? maybe they have an extra one for you.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)