Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You have 2 minutes.. Talk. OBC

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:53 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 331 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I'm excited!
I've got an appointment with a powerful man tomorrow afternoon to discuss support towards adoptee rights in my state. He's told me he supports the cause to open OBC's!
He's recently had an adult grandchild walk into his life. He's a birth grandfather!
OMG!
I'm thinking my time will be very limited with him as its on his dime & time at his law practice.
I'm working on having 2 bmoms go with me. We'll bring a large stack of those legal notices that we've located and copied from archives of several publications for all the world to see to show him the "promises" by agencies to keep a bmoms privacy after signing.. BS!

But I wanted to ask you all and any adoptees here, do you have any points 'you'd' want to pass on to him about restoring our rights to OBC's?
Remember, he's touched by adoption now. He gets it - at least a little bit.

Yeah! Wish us luck.
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vikki77
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Good luck! The only thing I can think of is no-one should be able to stop them from getting the OBC. I know some places the mom can sign something that will withhold it from them. That shouldn't happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I would agrue that adopted persons are discriminated against as a race of peoples. The same basic rights that everyone is entitled to is withheld from adopted peoples. The manner in which adopted people are treated as a group, goes against the Geneva Convention of Genocide and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Universal Declaration of the Rights of the Child:

Article 2

In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

Article 15.

(1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.

(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

The child shall enjoy all the rights set forth in this Declaration. Every child, without any exception whatsoever, shall be entitled to these rights, without distinction or discrimination on account of race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status, whether of himself or of his family

2  The child shall enjoy special protection, and shall be given opportunities and facilities, by law and by other means, to enable him to develop physically, mentally, morally, spiritually and socially in a healthy and normal manner and in conditions of freedom and dignity. In the enactment of laws for this purpose, the best interests of the child shall be the paramount consideration.

3  The child shall be entitled from his birth to a name and a nationality.

onethentwins
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all, what right to adoption agencies have promising privacy? They can promise that they wont share their records if they want, but they can't promise what public records will or wont be shared. 

Second, why should birth mothers have extra rights? Other mothers don't have privacy from their children, why should birth mothers?

All we ask for is equal rights. Equal rights for Adult Adoptees, and equal rights for Birth Mothers. Nothing more, nothing less.

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM
I'm going to take my amended and original BC to show him. I want him to see how VERY important that 'silly little piece of paper' is to ME.
I'll tell him about how I risked breaking the law by obtaining it. I'll tell him that NOW I can stand on the compass rose at the Alex Haley memorial in Annapolis and Know WHO I am and where my ancestors come from.

We have plenty of stuff to pull out if we have the time. Stats on the # of mothers who don't want to be found...Adam pertman's testimony 2 months ago in front of judicial committee as an adoption expert, plenty of articles from Elizabeth Samuels (law professor at UBaltimore and NOT bmom, adoptee, amom), those notifications published in newspapers NAMING the birthparents, their dob, and address, adoptee dob - everything as far back at the late FIFTYS.
Nowadays it's online!

http://www.dhr.state.md.us/blog/?page_id=5675
Where's the 'confidential' after signing off?

I hope his reunion with a gchild is going well. Maybe there will be a second meeting.
Tell you about it when I get back.
vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Good luck!

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks!
Ya need luck to reason with some of our elected aholes. I really hope this time is different
adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, the meeting was..
Disappointing.
He supports the cause but really won't bother to lift a finger.
He did give us some tips in dealing with resistant legislators.
IDK. It takes me awhile each time I do this to wonder WHY I bother.
How many times do you have to be told you're wrong- Or NO that's never going to happen.
How many times do you get the smack down and shake it off and decide to not go back for more?
Where are all those adoptees this issue is so important too?
Why does CC get the upper hand in being the authority by stating "well, you know - there are unstable birthmothers out there and looney adoptees too. The searcher needs us to determine they'll be safe before releasing their identity to each other'
And NO I'm not kidding. I SAW the written testimony from a CC adoptee who works as a CI for them.

He told his personal connection to his grandchild being adopted. It would make you flip your wig. He's dealt with the aftermath in his family. He gets it. (???) but because ap's had their identity and gave it to their son and he did not have to buy the info BACK from the agency, or deal with them orchestrating and controlling their communication, well it's all good.

He called opening records PROGRESSIVE. WTF? A catholic liberal democrat that's supported and voted for same sex marriage? That's not progressive??? An attorney that Should be aware that records WERE open until 1947??

I just don't get it.
I told my CUB/AAC leader it'd be more advantageous with our time and energy to just say F&$@ it and work on helping Mothers and children searching individually.

I don't care what anyone says. ADOPTION SUCKS!
What IS everyone so afraid of in the TRUTH?

2jeffsmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I'm so sorry about this adopteeme. The truth is so liberating. I don't know why there's so much fear. My only guess is the fear of being rejected. We all have those fears.

Vikki77
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I am so sorry the meeting didn't go well. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cedartrees4
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I still wonder if the approach to open records that is working in Canada and worked in Australia would work in the U.S. too ... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)