Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Search for My Mom's Baby Sister

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 189 Total Views

Three and a half years ago, I started the search for my mom's baby sister.  She was surrendered in late 1969 or late 1970, possibly given the name Louise by her adoptive family and it was in Seattle.

Well, I was browsing adoptee profiles on a reunion/search site.

Found an adoptee who was born in Dec 1969.  The middle name given to her was Louise.  Now the birth mother info she has is off by a few years (claims mother was 28, but gram was 31).  This struck me because my grandmother always claimed to be 28 at EVERY birthday. 

I sent her a private message letting her know who I was and what information I have regarding this lost sibling's birth and to please message me with any other info she might have.

Well, she saved me as a contact. 

Here's to hope.

ETA - One question:

Is it possibly the non-ID info the adoptee received was not truthful?  Could the mother purposely be deceitful in what information she shared to ensure the adoptee could never find her?  Like lying about her age, physical description and even the ages of her other children, if she has them. 

I ask because there is another who fits close as well (middle name also Louise).  Once again, the ages are off by a few years, but she fits because her birth mother was divorced and she was not the ex husband's child.  It also stated she was parenting other children, and their ages are close, but a few yrs off.  Physical description doesn't fit Gram either. 

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vikki77
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I pray it is her. :) fingers crossed...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vampporcupine
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Me too!

Quoting Vikki77:

onethentwins
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

fingers crossed

How exciting.

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Please keep us posted!!!!!!

drfink
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM

here also !

Quoting vampporcupine:

Me too!

Quoting Vikki77:

Southernroots
by Group Admin on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Yes, it is possible the info an agency provides is inaccurate for many reasons. In fact, it is not uncommon.
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ugh, this is more difficult than I realized.  I wish I had an exact birthdate to narrow shit down.  But mom doesn't remember and Gramma won't talk.  Someone once suggested I fill out the birth certificate request form posing as my Gram, but I'd need a copy of her ID and there's no way to obtain that without numerous questions.  I am willing to go to whatever lengths to find "Louise", but I can't find it in my heart to be deceitful to Gram on why I need her ID, LOL

I need to plan a night with some wine or something.  Maybe if I pump her full of booze, she'll talk, LOL.

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Randi, you've got mail.
And in 2002, it was not required to provide ID for a birthmother to request the OBC. Just saying..
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM

It is now, Adopteeme.  When I called about requesting my daughter's OBC 3 yrs ago, I was told I needed to send in a copy of my DL or present it at the counter when I dropped the form off.  I think they put that rule in place because extended fam was getting information behind the birth parents' backs. 

Quoting adopteeme:

Randi, you've got mail.
And in 2002, it was not required to provide ID for a birthmother to request the OBC. Just saying..

adopteeme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Quoting randi1978:

Well aren't they the shizzle for figuring it out.
I can't wait for the next tier in WA to open more OBC's. I'm in that group, and plan on applying for it again.
I'm very curious if my agency and court status will Cockblock me. According to them, I'm waiting on my (unidentified) Mother to pass away before I can do anything more towards accessing my info.
Keep at it Randi. Don't give up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN