Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lefties?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 320 Total Views

I was reading a thing the other day that said it is a theory that the majority of left handed people experienced a traumatic birth or had a traumatic event in the beginning of their life. The example it gave was losing a caregiver in the first 12 mos. of life. My birthson was a preemie and then lost me in the first 3 mos. of his life and he is left handed. Anyone else have a lefthanded birthchild or are a left handed adoptee? I don't know how true this is, but thought it was interesting.

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedwboysx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM

What an interesting theory.  I'm not sure if my first child that I placed is right or left handed.  My two children that I am raising are both right handed...my youngest was a premie and his birth was somewhat traumatic but not at all life theatening...he's right handed. 

summerleigh
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I guess I should add that both the father and I are right handed and my subsequent children are right handed. I don't know of anyone in either of our families that is left handed, so that's why it made be believe the two are connected. 

randi1978
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I'm a leftie.  I was born at 26 weeks and was poked, prodded, cut open and sewn up all before my first three months of life.

My oldest daughter, whom I am raising, is still finding her dominant hand.  So far, she uses her left hand more than her right.  About the only thing I can think of is when she was an infant, I found out her father was leaving her in her carrier for hours on end by herself while he played video games in another room.  He only came out to change her butt or feed her.  I cannot imagine what it was like for her when I left for work (she would start screaming when I grabbed my purse and keys).  Her screams still haunt me.

onethentwins
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Danny was a forceps delivery and he's a righty.

breezy2005
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I've have never heard of this, but my DH is a leftie. He tells me all the time that Leftie's have rightie's too. 

My daddy is a leftie and he's never had anything traumatic to happen to him and my grandson is a leftie and there's never been any traumatic with him. So I do not know but it's something to think about.

Angie 

Boofer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Very interesting.  The only thing I ever heard about was those who are ambidexterious.  I had heard that survivors of vanishing twin syndrome have certain personality traits and tend to be ambi and have multiples where only one or some survive.  I am ambi and have had a child who is the survivor of vanishing twin syndrome (she was a triplet).  She also has some of the emotional stuff but is so far mostly a rightie (I think - I will pay more attention).  My mom's doctors swore I was a twin but when I was born I was only one.  I had some of the emotional stuff they attribute to VTS.  Weired. 

My son I placed is a rightie as is my oldest girl who had cysts on her brain when I was preg with her and has had a variety of medical problems and was a little premie and had a traumatic birth.

New thought:  did you "resist" delivering your child you were placing in adoption.  I "couldn't" deliver him so they took him with forceps.  The others came out easily.  I always wondered if I was holding on every last min I could where he was all mine and no one else's.  Just a thought.

Mother of 3, raised 2 - I lost my son to adoption June 1989.  I gave up my right to parent him; I kept my right to love him!.  Reunited with my son 8/13/07.  In his eyes, I may or may not ever be his mom, but he will always be my son. 

Favorite Quote:  "Love is infinite; you can always make more when you need it" - Twitches, Disney Channel Movie

smileywoman
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I'm a leftie and a birth mother. I had a traumatic being as a premmie, 3 wks early and back to the hospital for failure to thrive as a child. I wasn't strong enough to take my first steps until I was 2.

Debra763
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I am a lefty but have never heard that before.  Though I have often wondered if the story of my birth had anything to do with it, as I was born premature.  There is a bit of trauma concerning the story of my birth...  The story is....mom was seven months along with me when the night before I was born, a mouse got in the bed with her and she says she jumped about six feet in the air.  I was born the next day.  (Mom worked for an Italian family in their resturant  and the pizza delivery boy had to rush her to the hospital when she went into labor)   Anyway I was in an incubator for a couple of months, AND soon after that my father let me roll off of the bed and hit my head a couple of times, (because he was a drunk.)  Im okay despite all of that (I think). 

I know, too much information.  I just got off a 12 hour midnight shift and am going to bed! (Maybe I wont roll off!)  

Bless you all

snowwillow
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM

My bdaughter was born with a problem with her legs and had to wear casts for 6 weeks. She is right handed and our son whom we parented is right handed.

Randimomof2
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I am ampridextrious(both right and left handed) My daughter is right handed I think, never actually asked.

My oldest son that I raised is right handed, and the only thing that I would have to say that was traumatic for him as far as the birth was that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and not losely either and that he was very blue when he was first born and it took awhile for him to perk up.( he was 2 weeks over due)

My Youngest son is left handed and he was 2 weeks early had very low blood sugar and had to be on oxygen for the first 3 months and then hospitalized at 12 months for failure to thrive do to the low blood sugar problem and apparently some other hidden medical reasons that the Dr. had a hard time finding. He is now 9 years old and uses both his right and left but he is more dominate with his left.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)