Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperately wanting a VBAC

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1701 Total Views

I am not pregnant yet, but we are going to start trying towards the end of this summer and I am wanting to find a good doctor that will allow me to do a VBAC.  My son is 6 months old now and I was wanting to have them kind of close together.  His birth was a disaster I was dreading having to have a csection and that is what happened, after 72 hours of labor and two of pushing.  I got dialated all the way to a ten but he never dropped down and at that point his little head was too swollen to use any of the other things they use.  I had to be induced at 41 weeks and we had the pitosin as high as they could go and my body just never took over.  Even when I was pushing they couldn't get a good reading on my contractions and I couldn't feel them because of the epideral so who knows if I pushed at the right time.  It was incredibaly frusturating and I felt defeated in the end I was forced into a csection where I felt like my body was just being invated, I can't imagine a worse experience.  He ended up with a 6 day NICU stay because his head was so swollen, but it healed up really fast and he is a healthy and happy baby!  The doctor keeps blaiming my size on the reason that I couldn't have him naturally he was only 7lb12oz, but I am only 4'11" 110 lbs.  I just don't think that my height has all that much to do with it or there would be no more short people at this point, they would have all died during child birth.  Either way I missed out on one of the most incredible experiences, and I want at least the chance to be able to deliver all natural.  If I go late and inducing doesn't work I obviously will not wait until the force me to a csection, but if all goes well and this one pops out, I don't want to be forced into surgery before that can happen.

I know there are some posts on here about Dr's that will do VBACs in Tulsa but I went to Kim Kmita yesterday and she no longer does them and Southcrest is about to pull them from that hospital all together.  Does anyone know of other Dr's they would recommend?  I will be under soonercare, will Dr. Thompson or Dr Ross take that?

Thanks so much everyone!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Stephs9
by Group Owner on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Quoting carriebsmith:

I am not pregnant yet, but we are going to start trying towards the end of this summer and I am wanting to find a good doctor that will allow me to do a VBAC.  My son is 6 months old now and I was wanting to have them kind of close together.  His birth was a disaster I was dreading having to have a csection and that is what happened, after 72 hours of labor and two of pushing.  I got dialated all the way to a ten but he never dropped down and at that point his little head was too swollen to use any of the other things they use.  I had to be induced at 41 weeks and we had the pitosin as high as they could go and my body just never took over.  Even when I was pushing they couldn't get a good reading on my contractions and I couldn't feel them because of the epideral so who knows if I pushed at the right time.  It was incredibaly frusturating and I felt defeated in the end I was forced into a csection where I felt like my body was just being invated, I can't imagine a worse experience.  He ended up with a 6 day NICU stay because his head was so swollen, but it healed up really fast and he is a healthy and happy baby!  The doctor keeps blaiming my size on the reason that I couldn't have him naturally he was only 7lb12oz, but I am only 4'11" 110 lbs.  I just don't think that my height has all that much to do with it or there would be no more short people at this point, they would have all died during child birth.  Either way I missed out on one of the most incredible experiences, and I want at least the chance to be able to deliver all natural.  If I go late and inducing doesn't work I obviously will not wait until the force me to a csection, but if all goes well and this one pops out, I don't want to be forced into surgery before that can happen.

I know there are some posts on here about Dr's that will do VBACs in Tulsa but I went to Kim Kmita yesterday and she no longer does them and Southcrest is about to pull them from that hospital all together.  Does anyone know of other Dr's they would recommend?  I will be under soonercare, will Dr. Thompson or Dr Ross take that?

Thanks so much everyone!

Hello Carrie, welcome!  I am very sorry about your prior birth experience.  I think it's such a good idea for you to be thinking about this even before you TTC.

In Tulsa the 2 doctors who attend the most VBACs are Dr. Thompson and Dr. Ross.  I believe that both take SoonerCare, but you'll need to call their offices to check for sure.  Some other physicians attending VBACs:  Dr. Razden (St. Francis) and the OU docs at Hillcrest (& possibly their CNMs).

Do you know what led to your baby's head becoming swollen?  Did they do AROM with the pitocin?  Sometimes if a baby is in an unfavorable position and the membranes are ruptured, they can have a hard time moving to an optimal position.  A doula can be really helpful with positioning issues during labor.  And it sounds like for you, avoiding induction might be a good thing.

Please feel free to come to our next ICAN meeting, which will be on May 15th (we meet on the 3rd Tuesday of every month).  You can find info at our Facebook page which is www.facebook.com/icanoftulsa

Stephanie, mom of 3 boys
Co-leader, ICAN of Tulsa

carriebsmith
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thanks for replying! The reason for his head getting swollen was because he was cockeye a little bit...his forehead was actually down the farthest and he actually still has a little bit of a scar from it.  He moved sometime throughout the labor but I think it was too late at that point.  You know how most babies have a cone shaped head...well his was intence, the pictures of him right after are quite horrifying!  Like I said though it healed up really quick.  You asked if they gave me something else with the pitosin but I don't know what that is.  So I would guess not.  I think the doula is a good idea, I didn't even know there was such a thing before now!  I just thought that I would know what to do when the time came..I really didn't every imagine having so many problems, who would though.

I called Dr. Thompsons office and he will take soonercare!  He has agreed to do an interview with me!  I just have to get all of my paperwork from my csection and take it to him and we will go over it.  I am so nervous he is going to say I am not a good candidate.  I mean it wasn't something simple like he was breach or the placenta was blocking...no my dr literally let me go as long as he possibly could and it just didn't work.  I just really hope I get the chance to try again, I NEED the chance to try again!

carriebsmith
by New Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

How do you avoid induction, at 41 weeks I thought they had to induce you?  I tried everything in the book to get it going from the pressure points to all kinds of wierd foods I sat on a ball for months and actually on my due date I ran 4 miles with my husband in 100 degree heat lol...nothing!!!  It was crazy frusturating, I really didn't want to be induced because I knew it would increase my chance of csection but I didn't really have another choice, not with my dr at least. He thought too with my size that I should have induced earlier so he would have been smaller, idk though!  I just hope this next one goes much much better!

Stephs9
by Group Owner on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Inductions for post-dates is a tricky thing. The one thing you need to know in reference to VBAC specifically is that uterine rupture rates do not increase in post-dates moms. Here is a really good article about induction that has some informative links:
http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=1998
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DoulaHeather
by Group Admin on May. 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

Southcrest is about to pull them from that hospital all together. 
At this time, this is a possibilty but not absolute.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)