Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my experience with Dr. Ross

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 557 Total Views

Hello everyone.  Just wanted to let you all know about my experience with Dr. Ross.  It was so helpful for me to find a provider when others told me their experiences.  Of course everyone's experiences are so different, but nonetheless, it's helpful to hear.  First of all, Dr. Ross has many good qualities.  He is a genuinely nice man who loves his job.  He works hard and doesn't complain. 

He spent a lot of time with me, talking about my option of VBAC.  He looked over my medical records and spent about 45 minutes with me during our first meeting.  At the end of our discussion, I asked him his personal opinion on me VBACing.  He told me "if it were my wife I would tell her to have a c-section."  Well, that blew my mind and it seemed like from then on out he wasn't 100% behind me on my decision to VBAC.  Maybe he really thought I couldn't do it, I don't know.  He said that it was still my choice and he would honor my decision.  Of course I planned on the VBAC still.  It seemed like towards the end he "warned" that I might have to have a section.....like I had some marginal placenta previa (it moved) and he would say "well if that doesn't move we will have to do a section," and then my amniotic fluid was a little low and then the scar was looking a little thin.  I suppose those are valid reasons to not VBAC, but it seemed like the odds were against me.  I am glad he was being honest with me, but at the same time I felt like he never really thought I could VBAC.

We planned for a VBAC up until the very end of my pregnancy.  I hired a doula who was familiar with Dr. Ross, worked with him quite a bit in the past.   At about 39 weeks I started having some high blood pressure.  I believe the highest it ever got was 168/88, which isn't crazy, but I guess it is pretty high.  He put me on bed rest and I had the c-section 6 days later.  The morning of my c-section my blood pressure was 120/70, but he said "this baby is ready to come out."  I probably had the best blood pressure reading in the room!  Anyway, it frustrating, but that's how it happened. 

One thing about Dr. Ross....he seems to be very forgetful.  I think he has good intentions and wants to do what's best for his patients, but you have to constantly remind him about things. For example:  during the beginning of an appt he will tell you he is going to prescribe you something and by the end of the appt he will forget and you will have to remind him.  Not a huge deal, but you have to stay on your toes or you might leave his office without getting what you need.  Also, he said he was going to do a "natural" c-section that sounded great.  When the time came, it was not a "natural" c-section.  He actually didn't even speak a word to me during the surgery.  You can look it up on You Tube...might be called Natural or Family Centered C-Section.  My first c-section was with Dr. Nilson and he held up my son and talked to me throughout the procedure.  Dr. Ross didn't do that.  Again, not a huge deal, but it felt very cold in there.  I even had my doula and husband in there with me.  My son had son breathing problems when he was born, which is common for c-section babies who don't go through any labor.  I didn't get to see him for about 5 hours, which was horrible.  He had to have a tube down his throat and they put formula in his tummy to help calm down his rapid breathing.  Poor little guy.  My husband got to be with him the entire time though.  I am proud to say that was the only time in his life he's had formula.  He's been exclusively breastfed and he is now almost 4 months old. 

I can't help but wonder what my situation would have been if I had chosen a different provider.  I can't let myself think about it too much, because it doesn't matter.  It's in the past.  I'm not sure if I am going to have anymore kids.  I don't know if I can handle another surgery.  This time was worse than the first.  A lot of people say it's the opposite, but for me this surgery was emotionally and physically more difficult.  I delivered at Southcrest by the way.  I absolutely LOVED Southcrest.  The nurses were so amazing.  I actually hated to leave, because they were taking such wonderful care of my family.  Connie is a lactation nurse there and she's wonderful.  I have called her a few times with concerns about BF'ing and she's helped me out so much.  She even had me come to her office when my son was about 2 weeks old, because of a latching problem and she put me at ease and helped us to keep going. 

Well, I didn't get to VBAC.  If I do have another I'm not sure I will try a VBAC.  I guess I will figure that out when/if the time comes.  Dr. Thompson would have been my only other option and I am not so thrilled about how he often times he uses pit with VBACs.  Just my personal opinion.  Geez, sorry this is so long.  I think it was good for me to write this all out.  A little therapuetic for me :)  Take care and good luck to everyone!

by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Tarah813
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Well, this post probably isn't going to be helpful for anyone.  I just read that Southcrest isn't allowing VBACs anymore.  That's so crazy...I just had my baby in Feb. and they were allowing them then!  If you are interested in Dr. Ross still, you might want to call his office.  He mentioned to me that he would soon have priviledges at more hospitals.  So maybe he can do VBACs somewhere else.  Last time I talked to him he still couldn't do them at Saint Francis South.

Kenzismommy09
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM
I was just reading about how southcrest is no longer doing vbacs and I talke with dr ross about it and April. But I decided to go with Dr Thompson. I am so sorry you didn't get the birth you had hoped for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)