Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Copeira anyone??

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 90 Total Views
Put the kids to bed - leave the husband at home and join me at Copoeira!!!

When: Every Wednesday 8:30pm - 10pm
Where: The Academy of Kung Fu
3228 SE 21st Ave
Portland, OR 97202
Cost: $5.00 per person per class

What is Copeira??

Capoeira (IPA: [ka.pu.ˈej.ɾɐ],Tupi-Guarani word for - clear area) is a Brazilian blend of martial art, game, and dance originated in Brazil, from the regions known as Bahia, Pernambuco, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo. The art-form started up in Brazil during the 16th Century, an obvious result of the slave trading that took place in conjunction with the previously slaved native indians. Capoeira was created and developed by both the native slave Indians in Brazil and slaves brought from Africa. Participants form a roda (circle) and take turns playing instruments, singing, and sparring in pairs in the center of the circle. The game is marked by fluid acrobatic play, feints, and extensive use of groundwork, as well as sweeps, kicks, and headbutts. Less frequently-used techniques include elbow-strikes, slaps, punches, and body-throws.

It is A LOT of fun and a GREAT workout!! Older kids and adults welcome all fitness levels!
I will be there every week with my 11 yr old son - hope some of you can join us!!
Back to Top  IP: Logged
by on Jul. 5, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)