Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Languages and cultures! Trying to make friends...

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join my group, Intercultural Discussions, to talk about culture and language and intercultural relations: http://www.cafemom/worldcultures

by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NiqNaq23
by Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM

HI there, what a very interesting post~ Reason being not to many people are open enough and willing enough to learn about different cultures. From your list of cultures, I am somewhat familiar with the Spanish culture. I am bilingual.  My 3rd culture that I am embracing is Samoan because my husband is Samoan, and kids are mixed.  My native American blood is from the Hopi tribe, but my dad is the one up on that. I don't know much about it. But just wanted to reply to your post. Sorry I am not much of help, but is here as a friend. I'm not on here much though. Facebook has become my 2nd home. :o) Take care, and good luck!

nitabunni
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Quoting NiqNaq23:

HI there, what a very interesting post~ Reason being not to many people are open enough and willing enough to learn about different cultures. From your list of cultures, I am somewhat familiar with the Spanish culture. I am bilingual.  My 3rd culture that I am embracing is Samoan because my husband is Samoan, and kids are mixed.  My native American blood is from the Hopi tribe, but my dad is the one up on that. I don't know much about it. But just wanted to reply to your post. Sorry I am not much of help, but is here as a friend. I'm not on here much though. Facebook has become my 2nd home. :o) Take care, and good luck!

Hey! I actually remember you from the Blasian group!

Thanks for replying to the post.

How fluent is your Spanish and how did you learn it?

I've actually always been interested in Pacific Islander cultures as well, I just have never actually met anyone from the islands. I've thought the languages were really cool-sounding, especially Hawaiian.

Look up Anita Andrugsurba on Facebook and feel free to add me. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join my group, Intercultural Discussions, to talk about culture and language and intercultural relations: http://www.cafemom/worldcultures

NiqNaq23
by Member on Jul. 1, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Quoting nitabunni:

Hey! I actually remember you from the Blasian group!  Glad someone remembers me..LOL

Thanks for replying to the post.

How fluent is your Spanish and how did you learn it?  I was getting bilingual pay for work, so I am considered fluent.  I have a certificate for L.A.. County. I was an exchange student my sophmore year to Tepic Nayarit, Mexico. That's how I learned it on hands.

I've actually always been interested in Pacific Islander cultures as well, I just have never actually met anyone from the islands. I've thought the languages were really cool-sounding, especially Hawaiian.  My daughter's name is Hawaiian. It's Keonahi'ilani (Key-O-Nuh-He-E-Lawn-Knee). It means God's gracious gift, held in the arms of heaven. I like the Hawaiian language better then the Samoan language.  The Samoan language just sounds harsh.  I am not fluent in it, but I do know the basics. :o)

Look up Anita Andrugsurba on Facebook and feel free to add me. :)  Will do!

Teal
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I'm in, although I'm not fluent in any language other than English anymore.

I can understand French although sometimes I need the speaker to slow down but I answer in English.  I'm teaching myself Korean and that is slow going.

luvmy3keiki
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Aloha!  Hawaii will be such a perfect place for you to visit.  We are such a melting pot here.

I am Filipino, Chinese & Spanish.  I was born in the Philippines but came to Hawaii when I was 10.  My first language was Tagalog.  I still speak it but not as fluent, but fluent enough to have a decent conversation.  The Tagalog language is actually pretty comparable to Spanish, since a lot of our words came from Spanish due to the Spanish invasion of the Philippines.  I would love to learn Chinese.

Like you, I also like learning about different cultures.  I hope to travel a lot someday but I like to immerse myself in the culture, not the touristy stuff =)

OrchidSunset
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM

This post is intriguing! I wish I could help. As it is, I just wanted to respond since I have a similar interest in language and culture.

The languages I am most in love with and definitely want to learn are: French, Spanish, Japanese and Samoan. I understand basic Samoan but don't speak it fluently, despite being born and raised in Samoa. I'm fascinated by Japanese culture (probably because Samoan culture is sort of opposite) and all the different nuances that make up their traditional world. 

NiqNaq- your comment about the Samoan language being harsh sounding made me smile. I love the language, but it really does sound rough around the edges! I remember all of us Samoan kids in grade school joking about how when grandma says something nice it still sounds like she's affectionately scolding.

Best wishes, nitabunni! This is a beautiful goal you've set for yourself!

Evelinasmom
by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Hi! your post is so interesting! :)

I'm Indonesian, and i'd love to help you practice your indonesian, lol. My name is Starlet, i'm married to a Ukranian/scottish/cuban guy, and we have a 2 1/2 year old girl, Evelina Christa.

i'd love for my daughter to speak several laguanges. I think it's very important, and..... cool! lol

newmom1980
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

u have interesting interests and I too want to learn how to speak Kiswahili, I have wanted to learn for almost 10 years a my friend married a man from kenya so that helps. there is also this tutoring website from actual teachers in Kenya that conduct classes through live window online. Also Hindi is a wonderful language and another that i want to learn, though for where I want to live in India I think Marathai would be best. U should check out that language too.

CherrySakura
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
A reply to an interesting post:)
I am sahm to 3 wonderful kids 9,7 and 4.
I have Ba in japanese language but I need to brush up on it.
My native language is Arabic
:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)