Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adopting from Japan??

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 460 Total Views

So I plan on in the future adopting a child (ages 4-6) from Japan and I'm trying to learn all that I can about the process. Does anyone have any websites or tips they can give me? I don't plan on attempting the process for another 3-4 years but I want to be well learned by then so it can all go smoothly! I am very serious about this and have thought about it ever since my husband and I got together 2 years ago. 

by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jen1130
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:16 AM
I am in an adoption group and have adopted 4 times myself all USA adoptions....I have never heard of anyone adopting from Japan.....1 of my daughters is Cambodian her best friend is adopted from China....but never heard of an adoption from Japan ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ohthechiasmus
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Yeah they have them lol its VERY hard you have to literally wait like two to three years and go and live in Japan for a little whie and everything they don't like adopting their children to people outside of Japan. I've read up on it and watched documentaries but the process is so complicated I don't know where to start. People adopt internationally all the time :) 

jen1130
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Yes I know lots of people who adopt Internatioanly all the time but the counrties who allow this are either very poor and or limit the family size. Japan is not really like that. I love Japan so if it works thats cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ohthechiasmus
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Yeah it's supposed to be one of the very hardest to adopt from. I'm probably going to move there and do my research and work there for a few years and try and earn dual citizen ship so I have a higher chance of being on of the less than 10 that can adopt every few years x.x

mercyphoenix
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM
There is one agency that I know of. The adoption process is very long and hard, unless you live in Japan. We are choose a different country but we have to wait until our daughter is older. Good luck to you.
charm2mama
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I am Japanese and I looked into this. I've found a couple of blogs of families who've adopted infants from Japan. It looked like there was one agency that does this (I think the blog was "our japanese adoption"). I believe they don't let adoption for children over a certain age - I can't remember what that was. 

I know that adoption is not as accepted in Japan. It is done, but mostly it looks like they stay within the family (ie: I've known some people who have adopted from relatives). From reading Japanese sites, it looks like it is becoming more common (or public at least) among Japanese. I've also heard that in Japan, while some parent(s) may leave their children at orphanages, they rarely give up their parental rights making adoption internationally difficult. Also, abortion is not as stigmatized in Japan (this is my perception) so if a woman finds herself pregnant and cannot take care of the child, I think she is more likely to chose to abort than in other Asian countries. But of course, I may be totally wrong. I'd contact the agency to find out what the situation is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)