Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

STEREOTYPES

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

on new years eve I encountered a stereotype about asian men from my own sister:

My sister is not racist, she tolerates all races..and was estactic when I married my filipino husband, but on new years eve I got a shock from something she said. Here's the story:

I invited some people to come over for new years eve,my sister came early to help me set up. After my husband had finished all the hard parts of what we had to accomplish, he went to take a shower. As I was setting the table my sister says, 

her:"wow you really have given up a lot"

me: "what do you mean?"

her: "in sex!"

me"how?"

her: "well ya know, asian men have small penises, you must not be satisfied by him"

me(so shocked at this point):" Kathy!( her name) that is such a stereotype, my hubby has a nice penis."

her: "oh, it's just, i've heard from a lot of people that they don't"

me: Laughing

I know my sister didn't know better, and didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but what I'm really shocked at is that people still make stereotypes like this. What are some stereotype's you've encountered?

by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
LorennaL
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The same. And that all Asian people are genius. My hubby and his brother may be, but he rolls hisxeyes when strangers assume he is unusually smart. My daughter )different dad) was so excited about her 99 in geometry and said it was as good as an Asian. She didn't mean it in a rude way but he always pushes them more and her Asian friends have better grades than her. He says the families are just stricter about grades.
Opposite, his mom assumes stuff about me because I'm American. She was adamant at first he couldn't marry me. Went as far as to try to arrange date even though we were engaged. She still believes in arranged marriages. When she stayed here, she complained about things that made no sense to me about the kids, house, etc. It's such a cultural and generational difference. She doesn't agree with how we do
a lot of things here. And I'm clearly not her first choice, nor are my kids from first marriage. The fact that I'm previously divorced leads some in his family to have assumptions about me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)