Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When People Get Your Ethnicity Wrong.....

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

Do you correct them or just let it go? Personally, I correct them because I'm proud to be Hawaiian. So when people assume Native American or Latina, I have to say something...politely of course.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
education_mom
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I correct them politely beacuse like you, I am proud of my heritage. I often get mistaken for Chinese. 

educationmom (google it if you're curious as I"m not allowed to post a URL). :)

foxysugarlove
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Sometimes I politely correct but other times I just smile and keep it moving. It depends on who I'm talking to.

Army_Angel83
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I correct them, it gets really funny if you get me, my half sister and my cousins wife together.

I'm Japanese, my sister is Korean, my cousins wife is Filipino

We have a blast messing people up

jen_keiko
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I correct people, only because they ask... "Are you...?" I guess b/c i'm hapa (half & half) I look white-something but it's pretty ambiguous. LoL I'm also proud to be Japanese b/c that was the side of the family I was raised by (my dad's family lives in Oklahoma & I grew up/live in Hawaii)

guam_mama
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm half white half pacific islander and I have gotten called EVERYTHING under the sun, no joke, you name it people have mistaken me for as...black, white, japanes, chinese, korean, hispanic, spanish, french, native american, eskimo...but I love it because it's entertaining LOL plus it makes me feel unique.

mamavalor
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

People think I am Korean because of my married name and people think hubby is Chinese because he looks Chinese.

mychinababy
by New Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM

People will often mistake my children for being half Mexican and I will always correct them. They are half Chinese.

0Glitter0
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

hi, i am researching my family tree, i am from all over the place, lol people think you are suppose to look a certain way and put people into these  categories, trust me i know, my grandmother is  mixed with NA, German, African American and she has blonde hair , blue eyes and pale white skin, when i would tell them her background they would laugh, people need to learn alot more, that is what i am doing, i love the spice of life!

Sama2Mamma
by New Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM
People always think im korean. Even Filipinos and Koreans think that lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellybeanjean
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I usually correct them. Most people don't know the country where my mom is from(Myanmar - formerly knows as Burma) so it kind of turns into a lengthy explanation ....that gets a little tiring. Plus I'm mixed to I kind of expect people to get it wrong!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)