Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let's recognize some of our favorite Notable Asians here! They don't have to be Hollywood celebrities, either! They could be politicians, scientists, or people not as well-known that you feel deserve mention. Once you start thinking about it, you may find that there are more Asians "hiding in plain sight" than we realized! 

Let's have some fun with this one!

Looking forward to seeing your contributions!

--Christina
Group Owner, Asian & Pacific Island Families Forum
Group Owner, SCUBA & Snorkeling Moms

by on Feb. 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
christinaliu
by Group Admin on May. 5, 2007 at 8:57 PM
Thanks for adding these names!  You're right, there are quite a few Asians playing professional baseball!  That's pretty cool!

christinaliu
by Group Admin on May. 5, 2007 at 9:04 PM
Here's three more...

Keanu Reeves

Apolo Anton Ohno

Sean Lennon

sddamd
by on May. 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Someone mentioned Lucy Liu and Ziyi Zhang ... I love them because they are both Chinese and are talented actress.   And I think Jackie Chan is hilarious!!  And there is Lisa Ling (use to be on The View).  People confuse Lisa ling with Lucy Liu a lot!  Michelle Yeoh (Crouching TIger, Hidden Dragon, Tomorrow Never Dies and Memoirs of a Geisha).  Michelle was the main character, opposite of Chow Yun-Fat in Crouching TIger, Hidden Dragon.  She is another great actress.
christinaliu
by Group Admin on May. 9, 2007 at 5:08 PM
As far as Asian and Pacific Island athletes, the list can't be complete without
Olympic Champion Diver Greg Louganis!  He is of Samoan/Swedish descent, and was adopted by a Greek-American family. 

Merliejo
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2007 at 8:53 PM
  • Chu-yun-phat. (Sorry about the spelling...)
  • Dustin Nyugen....He's a real man! He stuck in with my friend/his wife after her paralyzing accident.
  • Brandon Lee and his father Bruce Lee......
  • Danto Basco (Hook, Ninja Turtles...)
  • Jason Scott Lee
  • George Takei (Star Trek)
  • Russel Wong
  • Michelle Kwan
  • Christin Yamaguchi
  • Connie Chung
  • Margarent Cho

KatCh
by on Jun. 19, 2007 at 11:08 AM

These two guys aren't famous yet, but they did get signed by the NY Yankees yesterday, who are the first major league team to sign a player from China. They're Kai Lau and Zhen-wang Zhang.

It is so awesome to see more and more Asians in sports. Now if only there was an Asian who can play professional football. It'll probably never happen. We're just not big bulky muscular people. 

heather912
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM

Quoting sddamd:

Someone mentioned Lucy Liu and Ziyi Zhang ... I love them because they are both Chinese and are talented actress.   And I think Jackie Chan is hilarious!!  And there is Lisa Ling (use to be on The View).  People confuse Lisa ling with Lucy Liu a lot!  Michelle Yeoh (Crouching TIger, Hidden Dragon, Tomorrow Never Dies and Memoirs of a Geisha).  Michelle was the main character, opposite of Chow Yun-Fat in Crouching TIger, Hidden Dragon.  She is another great actress.
Dh and I are adopting from China so, I bought the National Geographic special Lost girls of China. Lisa Ling is the host of course and she does such a wonderful job and she is very compassionate about her job. The funny thing was towards the end of it, she had been following these families that were getting there babies and one of the gentlemen asked her if she was going to be in the next Charlie's Angel movie which stars Lucy Liu. I just chuckled because here she was following them around for aprox. a week or two and he said that. Just humurous to me.

christinaliu
by Group Admin on Jul. 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Quoting KatCh:

These two guys aren't famous yet, but they did get signed by the NY Yankees yesterday, who are the first major league team to sign a player from China. They're Kai Lau and Zhen-wang Zhang.

It is so awesome to see more and more Asians in sports. Now if only there was an Asian who can play professional football. It'll probably never happen. We're just not big bulky muscular people.

Actually, there are a few Asian Football players that are getting some notice now!  There's Timmy Chang who I think now plays for the CFL, and was a QB for the University of Hawaii.  He's got info on other Asian Football players on his site too:  http://www.timmychang.net.

There's also Daniel Holtzclaw (Mom's Japanese, Dad's American) who is a linebacker for Eastern Michigan University and has received several All-American awards in his Freshman year and leads his team in tackles! 
He's going to be one player that I'll be watching because my DH graduated from Eastern Michigan University! 

Articles about Daniel Holtzclaw and other Asian Football Players

So...maybe Asians are making more inroads than we previously realized! 

--Christina

Group Owner, Asian and Pacific Island Families Forum

Group Owner, SCUBA and Snorkeling Moms

Mamasan2
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 9:23 PM
My daughter loves Vanessa Hudgens (1/2 filipino) from High School Musical and the asian girl who plays London on the Suite Life of Zack and Cody....

Guess you realized I have tweeners.....

jk

EDIT:  My daughter just told me her name is Brenda Song (London from Suite Life)
lanaiy_pr
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2007 at 9:53 PM
hmm theres so many
how about Dat Phan?!
he was a show I forget the name but he's so HI-LARIOUS!
one of my fav. lines of his is "I was walking down the street and some kid called me a riceball so i turn around called him a CORNDOG!"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)