Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sugar alternatives? PIOG

Posted by on May. 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 406 Total Views
I've started baking for my family again, gluten free, egg free and peanut free scared me off for a bit, and I want to cut down on the amount of sugar I use. What are some alternatives you ladies use to sweeten homemade goods? No artificial sweetners please, our tummies can't tolerate them.
by on May. 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
COGMOMJen
by on May. 7, 2011 at 11:01 PM

I use honey or bananas. Honey instead of sugar in bread makes it SO soft!! Bananas add a new flavor but works well in many baked goods.

JenD  SAHM, Homeschooling, Baking, Sewing, Conservative,  Green momma of 4 great kids.  Join me on my blog and Cafe Mom groups: Christian Frugal Living . Sewing Modest

YooperNurse
by Member on May. 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I just played with cutting down the amount of sugar in some recipes like muffins, and substituting in others with naturally sweet things like applesauce.

stepmominhell
by New Member on May. 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM

unsweetened applesauce is wonderful

there is also a product called Whey Low that you can order through the internet.  It's not a sugar substitute really, but you use half the amount.  It's not as sweet, and it's wonderful for diabetics or someone that is eating Low Glycemic 

Verrine
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I have been using Stevia. It is natural but no calorie. It measures like sugar but does not provide the lift in baking so the advice on the package is to use more leavener. It can have a bitter aftertaste.

sprime
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have found that many recipes you can cut back the sugar by almost half. My family has not noticed. I don't make cake, so I'm not sure about that. I mostly make cookies and scones and other baked treats. No problem yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)