Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CE Camp 2010

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 488 Total Views

Well, I had really good intentions of posting everyday, however after Day 2, I really didn't have a lot to say each day, so I decided to just post at the end of the Movement Centre of Manitoba Conductive Education camp.  So several weeks later, here it goes:

Camp is over and we had great success.  Once again, my eyes have been opened to what my daughter is capable of doing.  I again realize that I do too much for her and I need to push her to do more for herself. 

I am reminded that mistakes are a good thing.  When she makes a mistake, then she has an opportunity to learn from it.  I am reminded that you need to reward the attempts my daughter makes, but not to let her do the minimal - she needs to do more and try harder.

I also now know that she can stand straight and tall and walk with straight legs.  The crouch at the knee is not a permanent thing.  I have a list of exercises she can work on everyday to straighten those legs and build her muscle strength. 

I betfer understand that she has good functional thinking patterns.  She is capable of more complex thought than we had given her credit for. 

I have found out that I need to offer fewer verbal prompts when her attention wanders.  She capable of following direction, but needs to develop a broader attention span. 

I have several videos to refer to when we are working on her physical development.  The Conductor was very helpful and allowed us to tape specific exercises to work on at home.  So not only do we have a visual reference, but Megan's teacher will also have a reference.

I have a written report on things Megan worked on and suggestion on how to expand on her improvements.  Again a wonderful thing to pass on to her teacher.

Overall, the camp was wonderful.  I wish we had a program that was closer to home and I didn't have to travel 6 hours and move away from home for 4 weeks.  I will have to start saving so she can go back in a couple of years.

When you have a special needs child, it is like floating in the ocean. You will have highs when you ride the top of the wave and move forward and lows when the wave crashes over you and sucks you back. As you are riding a low wave of sadness, frustration & disappointment, just keep in mind the next wave will take you back up and move you forward once more.

Condutive Education Information Sharing at:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/50043/

by on Aug. 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Finlansmama
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Amazing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)