Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Magazine on CIO

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 2:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 654 Total Views

In the October 2008 issue of Parenting Magazine, on page 124, "The spoiled-baby myth":

Quote:

"Babies under three months exist in the present,".... And because crying is your infant's only way of telling you something's wrong, you need to attend to her so she can begin to make the connection betwen her cries and your comforting, which happens around 6 months of age. Even then, an older baby probably isn't capable of manipulating you to get your attention...

Young babies shouldn't have to wait for a response, either. "Too much stress on an infant's nervous system-such as crying continuously- isn't healthy for her development,".... After three to six months, you can try stalling your response a bit (with a gentle "I'll be right there"), but it's never a good idea for babies younger than 6 months to "cry it out."

So trust your gut: Soothe your new baby when she wails. Turn a deaf ear to everyone's advice- not your baby's cries.

I am going to clip this article and show it to anyone who questions my responsivness to my baby!! It's going on the fridge!

by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ivansmom07
by Group Owner on Oct. 3, 2008 at 3:01 PM

That's a good article!  You should use it as a response to all the moms in the answers section that are getting 'ready to let their 8 week old baby CIO'.

*shudder* that makes me so sad.

NCavillones
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Good idea, I will!! I also posted a journal with the quote.

mamajody0507
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM

Great article!!!!!!!  I hope maybe someday, CIO will be a forgotten thing...

HaydensMommy007
by on Oct. 3, 2008 at 11:46 PM

Great article!

RanaAurora
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 2:28 AM

Wow, Parenting printed something worth reading?  Awesome!  I don't like the fact they still suggest it's okay for babies over 6 months, or that it's POSSIBLE they're manipulating you, though.

Click for www.electoral-vote.com

Group Owner: Nestlé-Free Zone Check it out to learn about or join the boycott.
I Can Has Cheezburger? Love LOLZ Cats? Join the group!
CIO Alternatives:  How to get your baby to sleep without leaving them to cry.
mandawest
by on Oct. 9, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Wow!  I am pleasantly surprised!

_Tam_
by on Oct. 10, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I think someone from this group should post that article as a journal at least once a week.  Maybe then, it'll get the positive attention it deserves.  With it should also be posted supporting evidence of why CIO is such a terrible idea.  To be fair to those who do CIO (I guess), post the pros and cons of both CIO and not CIO.

"Everyone secretly hates the prettiest girl in the room." -Ani DiFranco
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/nanzyz/Rock%20and%20Roll/c0745f44.jpg

GraceM.S-S
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM
As a new mom, I did what I was advised to do. In the past week, I attempted the CIO method on my 3 month old. It was by far, the worst experience for me, my husband and my baby. Hearing my infant scream and cry uncontrollably for hours seemed very selfish and neglectful. I absolutely felt as if her trust and sense of security was broken. Not to mention MY sleep. I'm sticking to the family bed...I get to nurse my baby on demand and we both sleep peacefully 9-10 hrs a night. It is also a joy to see my LO stare & smile at me with happines as we both wake up.
sapient
by Group Admin on Apr. 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Quoting GraceM.S-S:

As a new mom, I did what I was advised to do. In the past week, I attempted the CIO method on my 3 month old. It was by far, the worst experience for me, my husband and my baby. Hearing my infant scream and cry uncontrollably for hours seemed very selfish and neglectful. I absolutely felt as if her trust and sense of security was broken. Not to mention MY sleep. I'm sticking to the family bed...I get to nurse my baby on demand and we both sleep peacefully 9-10 hrs a night. It is also a joy to see my LO stare & smile at me with happines as we both wake up.

Good for you!!

I did the same thing, for the same 'selfish' reasons. I got more uninterrupted sleep and I loved snuggling and waking up to a smiling baby :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)