Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man that was so hard...

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 394 Total Views

We just tried one of the no cry sleep solutions... He's 5 1/2 months old and has been sleeping in our bed or bedroom (basinet) since birth. Lately it's been 90% our bed... and he started wanting to nurse all night long... giving me no rest and a horrible headache that's lasted days. So we wanted to try to put a stop to it.

We read about a solution to teach him to self soothe... lie him in his crib, if he starts to cry immediately pick him up and soothe him until he's calm- then lie him back down. Repeat until he goes to sleep. 2 hours later- and many switching off between mommy and daddy and he's finally asleep. I was afraid he'd get hungry, want to nurse and it would start all over again!

I came so close to just giving up and bringing him to bed with us anyway. I am waiting 20 minutes. If he's still asleep, we're going to bed.

How do you do it?

by on Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sapient
by Group Admin on Apr. 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Personally, I co-slept until about 20 months. Then I just slept without a shirt on, and when he needed to nurse it was right there. He usually didn't even wake me up. Sometimes the only way I knew that he didn't sleep all night was because my boobs didn't hurt.

beccimae
by on May. 13, 2009 at 11:44 AM

We just cosleep currently with our 2 1/2 y/o and our 11 month old.  Our oldest kids sleep on their own now, but that's another story. 

I think kids sleep on their own when they are ready to.  I don't believe it is normal for them to sleep alone--but that's my value system and everyone has their own I guess.

I just can't imagine not sleeping with my babies until they are older. 

I understand sleep deprivation though and had it bad when I went back to work with #3 when he was 5 weeks old.  Cosleeping saved our lives and our nursing relationship. 

I guess I am not offering much support but I am at least glad we're not crying it out. 

rozepyle
by on May. 26, 2009 at 9:48 AM
maybe hes not ready
MumsTheWord571
by on May. 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Since then we have gotten him to go to sleep without crying. And he will sleep in his crib from 9 pm to about 6 or 7 am. Either Daddy cuddles with him, in his room, until he falls asleep, or Mommy will nurse him to sleep and lie him down.

It's what works for now.

Quoting rozepyle:

maybe hes not ready

mommawhite08
by on May. 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Since then we have gotten him to go to sleep without crying. And he will sleep in his crib from 9 pm to about 6 or 7 am. Either Daddy cuddles with him, in his room, until he falls asleep, or Mommy will nurse him to sleep and lie him down.

It's what works for now.

Quoting rozepyle:

maybe hes not ready

That's so awesome!  I understand where you're coming from, I have nothing against co-sleeping and I actually enjoy it, except I feel like I've been beat up the next day, it just isn't working for us and I just got the no cry sleep soluton book so hopefully I'll get some comfortable sleep soon!  Great job momma!

anklebitr
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Quoting mommawhite08:

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

It's what works for now.

Quoting rozepyle:

maybe hes not ready

That's so awesome!  I understand where you're coming from, I have nothing against co-sleeping and I actually enjoy it, except I feel like I've been beat up the next day, it just isn't working for us and I just got the no cry sleep soluton book so hopefully I'll get some comfortable sleep soon!  Great job momma!

Hey I have felt like that too.  I would wake up with a horrible backache then feel like I had not had any sleep.  What I have been doing is nursing Torin to sleep in our bed then moving him to his crib.  Sometimes he sleeps till Mike gets up to go to work other times he wakes up between two and three am.  Then I just bring him back to bed with me. Last night he slept from 11:00pm to 5 am.  I was thrilled.  He is also going to be 1 this month.  I am just glad we figured something out that didn't have a lot of crying. 

mmccoy
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Just a little warning.....he might revert when that 6 month growth spurt hits....good job though, glad it worked out!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)