Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Missed the mark?...

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 543 Total Views

What movies, if any - do you think really aren't as great as many people have suggested they are? Do you have any classic flims that you thought were not that good or that you really just didn't like at all?--- if so, share it!

bad

Picture8-1.png picture by mandra56recycle.gif picture by mandra56go-green.jpg picture by mandra56

jennifer.png image by Meganzack1213

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roseisrose
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I saw The Misfits for the first time a short while ago after seeing bits and pieces  of it over the years. Well, the movie just upset me mostly. It was the last film for Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable -and that alone makes it depressing. Its also hard to watch the films of Monty Clift after his accident- his face is so changed and because of his health and alcohol problems as well; he looks like a different person to me. Anyway- the story line is just too much of a downer (and I know its supposed to be) but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. And then the scenes with the horses sealed it for me that this was not gonna be one of my favorites. The best thing I can say is that Marilyn does a very good job in this - her acting is some of the best she ever did... its just lost in the script and the disheartening tone of the sad film.

Picture8-1.png picture by mandra56recycle.gif picture by mandra56go-green.jpg picture by mandra56

roseisrose
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

OK- this one may get me yelled at [lol] for this.... but I can't help it. I absolutely LOVE musicals- I love love love them.... BUT this one- West Side Story... is just not good, as far as I'm concerned.

There are moments and songs that are just  beautiful and moving from the film-memorable melodies that almost everyone recognizes. But for me, West Side Story on the whole just annoys me! It makes me mad that its a musical, but the wondrously talented Natalie Wood doesn't even do her own singing in it! That makes me nuts! And then some of the acting is so corny- I've watched it so many times still looking for what others see in it and I'm let wondering "doesn't anyone else think this is corny?" ... I enjoy tons of movies with light hearted singing and full musicals played to the hilt but this is just one of those movies that doesn't make it for me....  it amazes me how many awards it won!

I do like this song... and of course, Somewhere.

sophiesmom07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Quoting roseisrose:

OK- this one may get me yelled at [lol] for this.... but I can't help it. I absolutely LOVE musicals- I love love love them.... BUT this one- West Side Story... is just not good, as far as I'm concerned.

There are moments and songs that are just  beautiful and moving from the film-memorable melodies that almost everyone recognizes. But for me, West Side Story on the whole just annoys me! It makes me mad that its a musical, but the wondrously talented Natalie Wood doesn't even do her own singing in it! That makes me nuts! And then some of the acting is so corny- I've watched it so many times still looking for what others see in it and I'm let wondering "doesn't anyone else think this is corny?" ... I enjoy tons of movies with light hearted singing and full musicals played to the hilt but this is just one of those movies that doesn't make it for me....  it amazes me how many awards it won!

VpdB6CN7jww

**GASP!  I really like this movie, it's not my favorite but I like it.  Don't worry, I will probably be booed and hissed for what I'm about to say, (lol) but I don't think Casablanca is as fabulous as everyone else does!  I don't find it immensely romantic as most do.  I don't know exactly why, but it just didn't do it for me.

sophiesmom07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I love Audrey Hepburn'sand William Holden but this one I didn't care for- Paris When it Sizzles. I just could not get into it. I thought it was corny and some of the scenes just plain annoyed me.  

homespun
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Quoting roseisrose:

I saw The Misfits for the first time a short while ago after seeing bits and pieces  of it over the years. Well, the movie just upset me mostly. It was the last film for Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable -and that alone makes it depressing. Its also hard to watch the films of Monty Clift after his accident- his face is so changed and because of his health and alcohol problems as well; he looks like a different person to me. Anyway- the story line is just too much of a downer (and I know its supposed to be) but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. And then the scenes with the horses sealed it for me that this was not gonna be one of my favorites. The best thing I can say is that Marilyn does a very good job in this - her acting is some of the best she ever did... its just lost in the script and the disheartening tone of the sad film.

BvGF0YhPSZg

Jennifer, I agree with you wholeheartedly!  I love every film Marilyn Monroe was in. I love her freshness, her vulnerability, her strength, her meekness, her beauty, unfortunately not every movie she appeared in was a good vehicle for her talent.  The Misfits is one of those films, its darkness and morbidity are not suited to showcase her abilities.  She  tags along with the other characters, her character appears to be an afterthought; she seems to be the female foil for the male characters.  I find the movie interesting though, despite of and because of those observations.  After seeing the movie a few times I realized that her role as a female accessory is quite appropriate for the time period.  Marilyn is a multi-dimensional actress worthy of a better role, but the Misfits is a better film because of her, and because of her that is why The Misfits is worth another look.

roseisrose
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Quoting homespun:

Quoting roseisrose:

BvGF0YhPSZg

Jennifer, I agree with you wholeheartedly!  I love every film Marilyn Monroe was in. I love her freshness, her vulnerability, her strength, her meekness, her beauty, unfortunately not every movie she appeared in was a good vehicle for her talent.  The Misfits is one of those films, its darkness and morbidity are not suited to showcase her abilities.  She  tags along with the other characters, her character appears to be an afterthought; she seems to be the female foil for the male characters.  I find the movie interesting though, despite of and because of those observations.  After seeing the movie a few times I realized that her role as a female accessory is quite appropriate for the time period.  Marilyn is a multi-dimensional actress worthy of a better role, but the Misfits is a better film because of her, and because of her that is why The Misfits is worth another look.

OH hon, this is so well put!! :) wow- I totally agree with you here. She really was the best part of this movie. And I'm with you on how she was kind of exploited in this picture- even down to that scene where that man slaps her behind when she's playing with the paddle board or a part where she's in bed and its clear she's naked- sooo not necessaryfor this time period or for the movie. Although I was moved by her performance- I don't know if I could sit through it again, it was just too rough for me.

roseisrose
by Group Owner on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Quoting sophiesmom07:

I love Audrey Hepburn'sand William Holden but this one I didn't care for- Paris When it Sizzles. I just could not get into it. I thought it was corny and some of the scenes just plain annoyed me.  

I adore both of these actors- but I've never seen this one... now I'm not sure if I want to! lol

roseisrose
by Group Owner on Dec. 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Quoting sophiesmom07:

Quoting roseisrose:

VpdB6CN7jww

**GASP!  I really like this movie, it's not my favorite but I like it.  Don't worry, I will probably be booed and hissed for what I'm about to say, (lol) but I don't think Casablanca is as fabulous as everyone else does!  I don't find it immensely romantic as most do.  I don't know exactly why, but it just didn't do it for me.

You know-- I just watched this again {Casablanca} a few weeks back and I do see what you're saying... I love this movie, BIG time -but even with that being said- I think that sooo many other movies have almost ruined this film. Time after time I see a movie and they're using lines from this one! I don't know.. imo, other movies have really stolen something from this classic film... when you hear "Here's looking at you" in beer commercials... it takes a lot of the effect away... you know? I think the movie is terribly romantic- but its been beaten down by newer films and its jipped the original out of the feeling it once had.

sivasvati
by Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Quoting roseisrose:

my sister may not like me for this it's her favorite musical. i even bought it for her for christmas a few years ago but this is probably my least favorite musical. i cannot stand it. the only good parts in the whole movie are with rita moreno and george chakiris. otherwise i thought the acting was like you said corny. i like the movie the longest day a lot, but richard beymer is in it too and because of west side story i always cringe when he comes on screen. i can't help it. anyway, i think i will probably get a whole tide of whats!!?? for this one. i am not a fan of gone with the wind. to me scarlet o'hara is one of the whiniest characters on the screen. there i said it.

roseisrose
by Group Owner on Aug. 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Quoting sivasvati:

Quoting roseisrose:

my sister may not like me for this it's her favorite musical. i even bought it for her for christmas a few years ago but this is probably my least favorite musical. i cannot stand it. the only good parts in the whole movie are with rita moreno and george chakiris. otherwise i thought the acting was like you said corny. i like the movie the longest day a lot, but richard beymer is in it too and because of west side story i always cringe when he comes on screen. i can't help it. anyway,i think i will probably get a whole tide of whats!!?? for this one. i am not a fan of gone with the wind. to me scarlet o'hara is one of the whiniest characters on the screen. there i said it.

ha ha! I love it- good for you for putting it out there :)
I love Gone with the Wind- I think its a beautiful and epic film..... But even with that being stated, I do agree, Scarlett does get on my nerves as well. She has this amazing, heroic (ok, sometimes he's a bit of a cad) and dashing man like Rhett but she goes on and on about silly ol' Ashley! Ashley-- the name says it all!! lol And he's married (to a woman who is almost a saint for goodness sakes!) -- hello-- move on already!

I watch this one every time is on,... but I feel ya.... she does start to make you nuts with how she keeps missing the point with the right man-- over and over again....

--- Way off topic but I can't help but think of Carol Burnett's Went with the Wind when I watch the original! That part where she comes down stairs wearing the green curtains with the rod still in 'em!! She is too funny!!! I even have that Barbie doll of her dressed like that :)  

sidesplittinglaughter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN