Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Katharine vs. Audrey...Who's Your Pick?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1815 Total Views

I was watching "The Philadelphia Story" last night with my younger cousin and I told her that I loved Katharine Hepburn in the film. She said "Katharine? Is that the same person as Audrey??" I literally almost fell out of my chair!!!

After a looong conversation of me explaining to her that they are NOT AT ALL the same person (I don't even think they're related!), I began to think about their different films. "The Philadelphia Story" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" are definitely my favorite Katharine Hepburn films and I loved Audrey in "My Fair Lady" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Both actresses have amazing talents and have become major Hollywood legends.

I admire Katharine for her dominance and independence (she was the first woman in Hollywood to wear pants); and I admire Audrey for her grace and elegance (she was also a goodwill ambassador!).

When it comes down to sheer acting talent, I think I would have to go for Katharine. Even though I absolutely LOVE them both, I think I just favor the earlier genres of Katharine's movies and her iron-willed self-sufficiency that came across on-screen.

Who's your pick and why?

by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
roseisrose
by Group Owner on Feb. 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Breakfast At Tiffany's- Audrey Hepburn Poster Gooooood question! Ummmmm lets see.... I think I'd have to go with Katherine. Her abilities are pretty amazing and her talents at times (imo) have out-shined Audrey. BUT even with that being said, I like some of Audrey's films BETTER than Katherine's. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a family classic in our house, its my parents film and the theme is "their" song- so I'm WAY partial to that movie. But when I think of Kathrine in "Bringing up Baby" all I can think is how brilliant she is-- her timing is unreal. I think I could go back and forth all day! :)  

Katharine Hepburn, c.1930s Photographic Print

jennifer.png image by Meganzack1213

Proud2BAMOMMY07
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM
Omg how could I forget to mention "Bringing Up Baby"?! Classic!! I know...it's almost an unanswerable question!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sivasvati
by Member on Aug. 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM

i love audrey. my fair lady is one of my favorite musicals and how to steal a million is one of my all-time favorite films, but when kate the great is on screen....  there are just so many movies! bringing up baby, the philadelphia story, the lion in winter, guess who's coming to dinner, the african queen and those are oneswithout spencer tracy. when they were together it was magic.

MaMas06
by Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Hands down for me is Katherine Hepburn! Her movies speak volumes! She was ahead of her time and could easily fit in w/today's movie stars. I especially love the movies she did w/Cary Grant. Hilarious!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christine1912
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I love katherine's raspy voice....but I have to say Audrey hands down. Sorry guys. x

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)