Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice, really important

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

We are struggling extremely badly right now. To the point I just had to take my daughters piggy bank money to get a little bit of food. We have not been able to afford her insulin for the past couple months either, so she hasnt had the fresh insulin every month. Well, she has about one, maybe two, doses left of her cloudy insulin and its gone. I am so freaking out, an emotional mess. What do I do? Who do I call??

~Kristen, mommy to, Ashley (7), Chloe (6), Rian (4) & Katelyn (7 months).

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
08mpayne
by Group Admin on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Quoting Zcrewmommy:

We are struggling extremely badly right now. To the point I just had to take my daughters piggy bank money to get a little bit of food. We have not been able to afford her insulin for the past couple months either, so she hasnt had the fresh insulin every month. Well, she has about one, maybe two, doses left of her cloudy insulin and its gone. I am so freaking out, an emotional mess. What do I do? Who do I call??

Do you have a local JDRF chapter or ADA near by?  I would try there.  Also, call local hospitals and see if there is a clinic that can help.

Good luck...I hate to hear that you are going through this.

Krstandj
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Quoting Zcrewmommy:

Also, check with your local church(es) for help with food.

Kristie

mpace89
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:40 AM

try calling the company that makes the insulin, a lot of them have assistance programs if you can't afford the meds.

us3jakes
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Try contacting endocrinologists in your area.  Most have a large supply of insulin to give to patients as samples.  I'm sure they would be able to help.

Zcrewmommy
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Thank you everyone!! I did get ahold of my local chapter, they were very helpful. Stupid me, we got new insurance and I didnt look to see how much it really cost, because we have negative money, well, the insulin is free through my insurance. Strips are expensive, but the actual insulin is not. So, thank you all sooo much again.

~Kristen, mommy to, Ashley (7), Chloe (6), Rian (4) & Katelyn (7 months).

mpace89
by Member on Nov. 11, 2009 at 9:17 AM

that's wonderful to hear - as for strips check out walmart.  our strips are $100 at the drugstore but $50 at walmart

wendyms
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM

If you use Freestyle test strips they have a free program that allows you to receive them at discount price. Our copay was $50 and now we pay only $15. Hopefully if you use them it is honored in your state. I could not get the discount in Mass, but I live in CT near the line so I just changed the pharmacy to one in CT. Anyways it is called the Freestyle Promise Program. Hope this helps you out and your situation gets better soon!

Wendy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)