Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospitalized

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 581 Total Views

Was anybody elses child NOT put into the hospital upon diagnosis? My son was not put in the hos. we went to the ER and they told us what he had and gave him a shot. They called the endo and then endo said to send him home and to come in tomorrow for appt. (Doc was shocked!) and to drink tons of water. That is all they did. The next day we went in for 4 hours for them to teach us , give us supplies and Rx then we went home. I then had to call them everyday with the counts. I no longer have to call them (only 3 weeks later) unless he has 2 lows in 1 day (he is in honeymoon stage). Basically I ask if anybody elses was not put in because everybody seems so shocked that mine wasn't and some even act like I am lieing about it. Why would I lie about my sons health of all things..... I am going through a lot right now and very stressed and I joined groups and made journal posts for support and people to talk to not drama simply because he wasn't put into hospital.

Ok sry for rambling better now. BTW my son is doing great! Only 1 low today so far =)

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
08mpayne
by Group Admin on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

4 days for Katie and 2 for Gracie.  We only got out early for Gracie since we had been doing T1 for a year.

Jadegirl1819
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

People do lie about kids medical problems.  It's a mental problem.  Anyway, I never thought you were lying.  I just thought you had a really crappy endo.  I have heard of people that weren't hospitalized but they were caught early and weren't DKA or anything.  Didn't your son have very high blood sugar and ketones and everything? Basically if you son had large ketones they should have kept him at the hospital.  From what you wrote before it sounded like he should have been hospitalized.  Dealing with large ketones and all that is hard for me now and I have been doing this for over 3 years.  I don't think it was in the childs best interest to send him home as sick as he was with your lack of experience.

imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Oh I wasn't talking about you at all lol. Was talking about somebody else totaly. Yes his sugar was nearly 500 and yes he had large ketones. The ER doc was VERY shocked when the endo said to send him home as long as parents understood he needed to be watched all night and drink tons of water.Heck I was shocked to but also relieved because I couldn't figure out what I was going to do with my other 2 kids.  I also deal with the better when I don't have somebody else doing them for me like they would have done in the hospital. I think we have done very well and hopefully it stays like that. So far I love/hate honeymoonstage though. They have changed his meds so much fron tons of lows and that works for a few days then he gets lows again. Doc said his honeymoon is really strong. Was kind of hoping somebody else replied that their child was not hospitalized so because you guys are making me wonder if this endo is the one for us or not....

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

People do lie about kids medical problems.  It's a mental problem.  Anyway, I never thought you were lying.  I just thought you had a really crappy endo.  I have heard of people that weren't hospitalized but they were caught early and weren't DKA or anything.  Didn't your son have very high blood sugar and ketones and everything? Basically if you son had large ketones they should have kept him at the hospital.  From what you wrote before it sounded like he should have been hospitalized.  Dealing with large ketones and all that is hard for me now and I have been doing this for over 3 years.  I don't think it was in the childs best interest to send him home as sick as he was with your lack of experience.

Jadegirl1819
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Have you been on the parents forum at childrenwithdiabetes.com? That would be the place to get some opinions.  It is very active and has a ton of knowledgable people on there.  I have learned more from them than my endo.

I was worried when you first posted before because there is a point when drinking fluids isn't enough and they need an IV or they get dehydrated.  I'm glad he is doing well now.  The honeymoon does suck.  It lasted a year in my son.  We were having to change things about every 2 to 3 days.  Had no help from endo because they aren't used to how sensitive he is to insulin or how much his insulin needs vary throughout the day.  Right now he has 5 different I:C ratios and change basal rates about 7 times a day.  She keeps telling me it's too much but can't offer any suggestions to change it.  It's frustrating.

imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Ok I am calling another doc that a friend of mine takes her type 1 son to . I have called and talked to her just now for 2 hours and told her things they told me and she is just floored from it. Such as I have only seen his actual doctor 1 time for 5 minutes rest of the time was the lady that teaches you how to use the things and count carbs, Also they told me not to call them back unless he has 2 lows in one day that are under 70....so 3 weeks into this and they have just let us go and on top of that he has no appt. with them until sept.

You guys may yell at me on this one but I have stopped giving him insulin if he is below 100 BS before meals...If i give it to him he then drops way low and the doc wont listen to me!!! So today he has had NO insulin and his sugar is only at 77 WTF. Ok I am going insane and something has got to give! I know they said he was having a very strong honeymoon but if that is so then they need to listen to me about his numbers and such. Also my friend could not believe they have never had me check him in middle of the night nor do they have me check his ketones unless his sugar is above 300 and even then I am to only call them if the ketones strip says he has greater ....... I thought all this was normal but after talking to her and to you guys I see that this is not normal at all. And when I call all they talk about is him losing weight how is he suppose to lose wieght before this is under control UGH

kimcarr
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Never heard of such a thing.  We were in for four days but her B/S was 1214.  I wonder if it could be an insurance issue.

Jadegirl1819
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM

I'm glad you talked to another doctor.  Isn't your son on a really high dose of Lantus?  Or was it lowered.  It is a very good idea to check at night.  We started out at 12am and 3am.  I still check every night but some people stop once they feel like they have stability. 

Ok I am calling another doc that a friend of mine takes her type 1 son to . I have called and talked to her just now for 2 hours and told her things they told me and she is just floored from it. Such as I have only seen his actual doctor 1 time for 5 minutes rest of the time was the lady that teaches you how to use the things and count carbs, Also they told me not to call them back unless he has 2 lows in one day that are under 70....so 3 weeks into this and they have just let us go and on top of that he has no appt. with them until sept.

You guys may yell at me on this one but I have stopped giving him insulin if he is below 100 BS before meals...If i give it to him he then drops way low and the doc wont listen to me!!! So today he has had NO insulin and his sugar is only at 77 WTF. Ok I am going insane and something has got to give! I know they said he was having a very strong honeymoon but if that is so then they need to listen to me about his numbers and such. Also my friend could not believe they have never had me check him in middle of the night nor do they have me check his ketones unless his sugar is above 300 and even then I am to only call them if the ketones strip says he has greater ....... I thought all this was normal but after talking to her and to you guys I see that this is not normal at all. And when I call all they talk about is him losing weight how is he suppose to lose wieght before this is under control UGH

imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Ok been on phone forever (ear hurts been on it so much LOL) with a childrens hos. that does nothing but diabetes. She said she is very worried that I am not checking him in middle of the night as well as the fact that his doc did not make an appt. for him until sept. along with some other issues. She said it does sound like his honeymoon is very strong and he is getting to much insulin. She called their doc on call and they want him admitted *which they do not believe wasnt done in the first place*. She told me to call back on Monday with a day I can have him admitted *because I need to find somebody else for my other kids* and they will only keep him over night because they (by law) can not change anything until they see him and they have no appt. available till next month. Last week his doc did change his doses to humalog to 4 base and lantus to 16 base however they will not listen to me when I say he is still getting to much. Not sure if I said in other post but I have given him NO insulin today and we are still running below 90 so far. This new doc also told me to start treating his lows at 80 when other doc told me 70 and to start checking him in middle of the night and if he is below 100 to give him a carb choice. I feel like I am going insane LOL. Hopefully I can figure things out this weekend and have him admitted Monday then he will get out Tuesday morning with a diff dose and everything (she said lots will change).

Ellysmom
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Elly was admitted for 3 days but we were able to avoid a hospital stay with Anne because we caught her VERY early. Her a1c was still 5.9! We were a bit paranoid with Anne though so I was checking her BS about 1x/week and when I got at 285 as a reading, I called the diabetes nurses right away! Since Anne was in the very early stages and no ketones were present, as well as our knowledge with Elly, they allowed us to stay home and start insulin therapy with her then. We also saw our endo the very next week and both of our  girls are seen every 3 months. I think your DS is definitely getting too much insulin and a hospital stay (and a change in endos) is a good idea. Good luck and I hope he stablizes for you soon.

imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I have been worried about my DD as well. Her sugars (which I check every week) have been high as well but they did blood work and said she doesn't have it. I will continue to check her though since I have gestational diebetes with her and it runs high on her dads side of the family. As for Nathan we plan to have him admitted early part of the week to see if we can get this under control! Hopefully all goes well. They said since we have been doing this for almost 4 weeks that we would only need to go in by 1 then get to leave the next morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)