Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

insulin pumps

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 672 Total Views

i was told yesterday that luke would be a good case for  a pump.  i am doing some research and for his age (20 months) and what i am looking for i am  really interested in the Omnipod.  i think its exactly what we need.  what are your opinions? what does your child use and how old are they what are the benifits and disadvantages of your pump?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanD
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

My son is 10 and has been on the Omnipod for right at about 18mos to 2 years or so. We love it. However, I don't know how well it would work for a 20 month old. Have you received the "information packet" from them? If not, it has a "dummy" pod that doesn't have the mechanical parts in it, so it can't be used (and you don't get a PDM with it) but you can adhere it to his skin and see how well it would work. The pod itself is quite large, but not as large as a tethered pump itself. If you haven't gotten the info packet, you might request one and stick the dummy pod on him (he can wear it up to 3 days) and see how well he handles it being on there for 2-3 days. It will also let you see if the adhesiveirritates his skin, etc. You might even ask them to put you into contact with an Omnipod rep and see if you can get two of the pods and see how well he would do wearing one for almost a week.

Again it will be quite a bit lighter than the actual pod, but at least this will let you have some idea of how well he will react to the pod itself, as well as the adhesive since baby's skin can be so sensative to these types of things. Also, it does make a loud pop when it inserts, and this might scare him and be painful. I don't think its bad enough to be a deterrent, but something to be prepared for. We were initially on the Cozmo pump (which is a tethered pump that the company went out of business a couple of years ago) and we loved it. I really enjoyed some of the features on the Cozmo that aren't available on the Omnipod (he could name it and input the name, it was available in colors and the omnipod only has gel skins, there was a direct input food library the pod only has a reference food library so you can't automatically put the food into the bolus from that library, etc). These are all little things...but things that I wish the pod had. However, I do not regret for a minute our decision to go with the Omnipod.

aschwarz06
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

i have already ordered th trial kit to see how he does with it on.  i ordered that this morning.  my concern about other pumps is that he will play with the wires or get them caught on something.  it would be nice to be able to put all the food he normaly eats onto it.  but i like the idea of the remote also so i can dose him without having to catch him and hold him down or when im at work i dont have to go in there and upset him when i leave (i work at his daycare)  i am concerned about the size of the pod but at his age they will all be large and i dont see a pump staing on his little pants very well.  also being able to hid the pod on his back and back of his arms would be nice. same with sleeping he wont get tangled in the cords.

thebestTiffany
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM

My daughter is on a ping.  I chose it for the remote, and it had the smallest basal increments and smallest bolus increments at the time.  I think now that the Revel has the same.  I'm pretty sure that the pod is still at .05 which is double the ping and the Revel.  

The Revel is the only pump with an integrated glucose monitor. 

You should be able to set up a saline trial with each pump.  Just call the company and they will have a pump rep in your area contact you.

Also contact your ins.  They might have a contract with one company over another.  Check to see what strips they cover as well, the ping meter/remote uses one touch, Omnipod is freestyle.  

I don't know anyone that has been unhappy with the pump they chose.  Every person picks the one they think will work the best for their life.  

But we haven't had any issues with the tubing.  My daughter plays baseball, soccer, did fencing for a while.  She wears it in a SPIbelt

Jadegirl1819
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:59 AM

We chose the Ping for the same reasons.  They do make all kinds of accesories.  I have seen onsies with pump pockets in the back, etc., to keep pumps away from curious little fingers.  =)

I do agree that you should check with your insurance company to see if they will cover the pod.  I have heard some won't because they are much more expensive to use than the other pumps.

Quoting thebestTiffany:

My daughter is on a ping.  I chose it for the remote, and it had the smallest basal increments and smallest bolus increments at the time.  I think now that the Revel has the same.  I'm pretty sure that the pod is still at .05 which is double the ping and the Revel.  

The Revel is the only pump with an integrated glucose monitor. 

You should be able to set up a saline trial with each pump.  Just call the company and they will have a pump rep in your area contact you.

Also contact your ins.  They might have a contract with one company over another.  Check to see what strips they cover as well, the ping meter/remote uses one touch, Omnipod is freestyle.  

I don't know anyone that has been unhappy with the pump they chose.  Every person picks the one they think will work the best for their life.  

But we haven't had any issues with the tubing.  My daughter plays baseball, soccer, did fencing for a while.  She wears it in a SPIbelt

mpace89
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM

My son is 11and we use the Minimed pump.  When he's playing baseball or karate, he wears a harness that holds it tight to him in the middle of his back.  We opted to not do the Omni pod because you can only use one remote, and then we'd have to worry about it coming back and forth to school.  I know at 20 months, school is a distant future (unless he'll go to preschool) but our insurance company won't get us a new pump for 4 years, and that *would* put you in school.  Just something to think about.  Also, like a previous poster said the basal rates can be more finely tuned on the Minimed/Animas pump.  Another thing to consider is the Minimed has an integrated CGM should you decide to go that route, and while the Animus has a remote, I beleive you can get one for the Minimed as well.  

Our endo's office had a "so you think you want to pump" class  where we got to look at all three of them, find out the pros and cons (from the CDE's point of view) and have a test insert of an infusion site.  

aschwarz06
by Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM

we also have the class and we get to meet all the reps and see them all.  i do like being able to do small basal rates. and a CGM would be nice to be able to see it all the time.  however i do like that the omni has the meter in the PDA so it is only one thing to carry around.  you are right that making it go back and forth to school would be a worrysome.  i am truely in love with being wireless though, especially while sleeping since i am not sure where we would but it so he dildnt get all tangled.

thebestTiffany
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM

the remote to the ping is a meter.   The pump functions without it though. So you can send an extra meter to the school and they can still use the pump without it.  or you can just send the meter/remote with your child.  The meter/remote to the ping is $400.00 to replace, if lost, or not under warrenty.  It's under warrenty for the life of the pump.  

my daughter wears hers in a pocket on her waist.   She doesn't take the remote to school with her, they use a contour at school.  

I'm not trying to sway you my direction.  I'm just giving you info since we use the ping.  

mpace89
by Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 9:25 AM

it sounds like both the animas and the minimed have remote options.  for my son's minimed we don't use the remote, but we do use the meter that automatically sends the results to the pump (one-touch ultralink).  one came with the pump, and i was able to pick up a second for school on ebay for around $40.

The tubing hasn't been an issue for my son.  I have a big problem finding pajamas for him, but when I do, I get sleep pants with a pocket, and that's where it goes when he goes to sleep.  It doesn't *stay* there, it usually ends up just floating around his bed.  

aschwarz06
by Member on Apr. 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM

thank you all i have looked int o the others too and the ping does look nice i will discuss with his doc what they reccomend.  i did recieve my trial omnipod today and it is on his leg.  i wanted to see if he would leave it alone.  its just the pod form the company its completly non-functioning.  i have it on his leg right now and he is leaving it alone but he also has pants on.  so we will see which we go for.

aschwarz06
by Member on Apr. 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM

my other concern (well more of a want)  is will my insurance pay the extra money for the remote for another pump.  we go to the endo on the 25th so well see what they say!  i have already started keeping my detailed diary of all his stats for the insurance company so have a head start on the preperation for a pump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)