Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult? Child?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 314 Total Views

My son is 19 years old and was rushed from his college dorm to the hospital three days ago.  DKA is the culprit.  A virus has hit the dorm and it really attacked him.  He was having a hard time breathing.  This is the first time since he was diagnosed (he was 12 years old) that anything has happened.  He is normally good at taking care of himself.  I do get on him about his numbers being too high at times, but he knows what he needs to do.  The hospital is small and they are re-educating him which he is not too happy about.  At this point, I am struggling with getting through to him.  He is bright, but I don't know if he takes the consequences as serious as needed.  Maybe it's denial.  Any suggestions?  He is my baby and I hate seeing him like this.  His college is two hours away from my home.  I have been traveling back and forth & I am so tired.  It's possible that he gets out of the hospital tomorrow.  Then he goes back to his dorm.  I am worried and not happy to leave him.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I don't have anyone to vent to that won't think that I am overacting. 

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
imtheonlysane1
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM

He is your baby it is ok to react this way. I worry about my son as well. He has only been T1 for a year he is almost 13 years old. He says he doesn't want me to treat him like a baby , and that he knows what to do. Then I look at his meter and see that when he isn't home he simply doesn't test like he is suppose to...When he stays at his dads there have been time he has only tested 1 or 2  times a day with his excuse being that he didn't eat that much. It drives me crazy! I try so hard to warn him about all the things that could happen but he just shrugs it off. I am at a loss as to what to say to him about it anymore.

goodnightmama
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I am so sorry this happened. my son is not old enough to take of his diabetes himself so I do not know the anxiety of not being the one in control. I am not looking forward to handing control over to my son but I know I will have to eventually and that scares me. I hope he gets better real soon and that he learned a lesson from all this. GL OP

Sandy0904
by Member on Dec. 7, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Thank you both for the support!!  It is a difficult situation that my son needs to learn how to take care of himself and be serious about it. 

aschwarz06
by Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM

he needs to go with what he knows. obviously he has taken care of himself for years and has been healthy.  this small hospital who does not know him needs to back off. giving tips on how to deal when sick is fine but they dont need to reeducate him! he got a nasty bug that just really got him, it happens to the best of em.  good luck mama i understand your worry and concern it sounds like hes a good boy

AMG4
by Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:06 AM

When they get sick it is hard to control even when you if you have your mom there taking care of it for you - If this is the first time maybe he will pay better attention now it sounds to me like he has a good mom that has taught him well!  It is so hard to see you child sick and frustrated - give him a chance he might surprise you! at his age the freedom is overwhelming he might learn to adjust for it now.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)