Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Percilla

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

I am sorry to hear about your sons insulin shock. i know exactly how u feel my son has had to many to count from the time he was 3 hes 7 now and he does not even get to have his own room but has to sleep in my room every night. It breaks my heart sometimes but i have had to many close calls i even asked ppl on here about the seizuers my son was having and no one could tell me about them said their kids have never had them to u parents u are lucky. The word needs to be spread about what happens when this happens one night about 6 months ago he was sleeping with me i kept feeling him twitching i rolled over his lips were blue and his eyes were open and he was dying it was so different then any attack he has ever had normally he crys out and wakes up screaming scares the hell out of me but not as bad as that one night. i am not trying to scare u all with my horror story but i thought i would share at least one of my stories so ppl can watch out for it in their children maybe save some poor kids and maybe help u get through it if u have to go through it yourself make sure to hold your child and talk to them tell them its going to be ok and make sure u can get their sugar back up their are some side effects after my sons he cant walk, talk or sit up by himself the doctor say his brain has to reboot and it would get better after he got older i have seen no change but hopefully one day i will i pray for u all and your sweet kids to.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
goodnightmama
by Member on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was 16 months old when he was first diagnosed and only a couple of months after that he went into a seizure. He was taking a nap with his brother, his sister in her bedroom and I was reading on the couch. First time the house has been quiet in a long while and I took advantage of it by reading and enjoying the silence. Suddenly I hear a noise come from my boys' room and thought oh Jacob woke up and is playing in his bed. I walked in and he was so pale and whenever he made that noise his arms and legs would twitch uncontrollably. I panicked and grabbed his meter, his blood sugar had fallen to 24 all because I had given him just a little too much insulin. this was my first time dealing with a low and was not sure what I should have done. I did what came to mind which was wake my other two kids up, I had my oldest son hold a bottle of orange juice for him because I remember my aunt drinking orange juice when hers was low.  I also called the doctor and got all the kids ready and headed down to his office. by the time we reached the doctors office his blood sugar was in the 70's and still rising. I was so scared I didn't know if my son would make it and all I could think was it was my fault.

My son is now three years old and that was about 1 1/2 years ago. he has not had a seizure since but I don't think I will ever forget that moment.

aschwarz06
by Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

thats all so scary. we have been very lucky my son has had som escary lows like 27! but never had a seizure, yet. knock on wood.  the only reason he had a 27was because he was going in for surgury and the docs didnt listen to me when they gave insulin beforehand.  hes had a few since then but has been ok.  my son is hypoglycemic unaware so yes its scary since he dont show signs of it anymore and is too young to say he feels weird.  he will be running and playing normal and ill check him to eat and hes in the 40's.  its all very scary when it comes to our babies no matter the age

Scout-Mom
by Group Owner on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry you went through that!

We have had our lives change drastically since then. My boys now have a Diabetic alert dog I sleep a bit easier with him in our home. He will not let my boys get into dangerous levels without coming to alert me.

With 2 boys with type 1 only 1 has ever gone into shock, but I can tell you thatI feel VERY lucky that it has only ever been one and he has only had to happen once.

catrina1983
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

i have thought about looking into one of them for my son it would be very helpful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)