Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help, any advice on Health Plans

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 224 Total Views

The school refuses to change IEP, and insists that an IHP is all I need. The problem is the nurses are useless and the Support Service Director is avoiding helping us with IEP. I signed IEP and gave him list of changes we wanted. Now he dumps me onto nurse and says all we need is a health plan.frustrated

I can't afford an advocate, already spent over 5k on just getting an IEP in place.

From Massachusetts, going to call our DOE tomorrow but really need a Mom who has been through this and not some bureaucratic office worker who could care less.

Thank you to all who respond.

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jadegirl1819
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Does your child have learning disablities?  That would be why you would get an IEP.  If it is just for the things that are needed for Diabetes care then you would get a 504 plan. 

You can contact the ADA and get a free advocate.  Often they will send someone to go to meetings with you.  If they can't do that then they will have someone call you and walk you through what needs to be done.  They are really great.

MrsBlackPearl
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Thank you, I have been checking websites till my brain freezes over with information overload. I will contact the ADA. He has learning disabilities due to his diabetes going undiagnosed for years. The schools seem to think Diabetes is strictly health related, and fight me every step of the way. AARRGGHHH. The stress is killing me, but it is worth it to help my child. Thanks again and good luck with your child also.fingers crossed

makaliasmomma
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I honestly can't see years of diabetes going undiagnosed. It's a very quick progression according to the drs I've seen. At least my daughter's was. Diabetes in itself is only a health related matter. Something like down syndrome is both. I've just never heard of undiagnosed diabetes for years, unless its type 2. The onset of T1 is very quick though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN