Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this a healthy enough diet? what would you change.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 138 Total Views
I made a menu to try and make our diets healthier. Especially for my LO with t1d. I posted it in mom confessions then realized I should have posted it here. Since I am mobile I am going to post the link to the post. Please I am in desperate need of help/advice. Tia.

http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/17834913/new_menu_is_it_healthy_poll_added_more_added_in_replies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goodnightmama
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Crunch and much is a vegetable snack. The veggie juice is a bunch of different types of veggies juiced through a juicer.
imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Sure looks healthy to me but I must say my kids would die if I made that my menu LOL. I look at it like this, no matter what he eats it will not make his T1 better or worse period. With that being said I have cut back on frying foods and have started making things a little healthier without going full blown health kick. They are kids and they like good food. My son loves salads but he wouldn't if I made him eat one all the time and he would never go for drinking his veggies. If your child(ren) are younger then it will probably go smoother for you then it would for me since my son will be 14 this month. 

Balanced meals and exercise are the key.

goodnightmama
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Mine have tried the veggie juice and only the middle claim that she really likes it. I have been think of starting with mostly fruit and slowly changing to mostly veggies as time goes on. Thats what I have to do with dh. The first few meals of the day are mostly for me since my kids will normally be in school. (youngest starting next school year) so I will be the main one in the house strictly following the first three meals. I am looking for a more micronutrient diet. I am hoping it will improve his number more

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

Sure looks healthy to me but I must say my kids would die if I made that my menu LOL. I look at it like this, no matter what he eats it will not make his T1 better or worse period. With that being said I have cut back on frying foods and have started making things a little healthier without going full blown health kick. They are kids and they like good food. My son loves salads but he wouldn't if I made him eat one all the time and he would never go for drinking his veggies. If your child(ren) are younger then it will probably go smoother for you then it would for me since my son will be 14 this month. 

imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I do wish you good luck! =D I was told from day 1 carbs are carbs plain and simple and that dieting was not the answer to his t1. I do notice different carbs cause different issues though. For instance: potatoes tend to cause him to spike later and if I give him insulin for popcorn he drops dangerously low. I have heard the best way to do meals is to have a balance of fast acting carbs and slow acting carbs but I get all confused on which is which hehe.

BTW I skimmed through the comments from your other post ... I think biscuits and gravy sounds yummy!

On behalf of your children I think there should be some strawberry ice cream in there too ... I mean it has fruit and milk! *wink wink*

With as young as your kids are you may not have that many issues with the new menu.

Quoting goodnightmama:

Mine have tried the veggie juice and only the middle claim that she really likes it. I have been think of starting with mostly fruit and slowly changing to mostly veggies as time goes on. Thats what I have to do with dh. The first few meals of the day are mostly for me since my kids will normally be in school. (youngest starting next school year) so I will be the main one in the house strictly following the first three meals. I am looking for a more micronutrient diet. I am hoping it will improve his number more

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

goodnightmama
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Lmao @ strawberry ice cream.

I had my sons nutritionist look at the menu and she liked it. The comments from my other post kind of shocked actually.

I have also noticed his different reactions to different carbs.

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

I do wish you good luck! =D I was told from day 1 carbs are carbs plain and simple and that dieting was not the answer to his t1. I do notice different carbs cause different issues though. For instance: potatoes tend to cause him to spike later and if I give him insulin for popcorn he drops dangerously low. I have heard the best way to do meals is to have a balance of fast acting carbs and slow acting carbs but I get all confused on which is which hehe.

BTW I skimmed through the comments from your other post ... I think biscuits and gravy sounds yummy!

On behalf of your children I think there should be some strawberry ice cream in there too ... I mean it has fruit and milk! *wink wink*

With as young as your kids are you may not have that many issues with the new menu.

Quoting goodnightmama:

Quoting imtheonlysane1:

imtheonlysane1
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Yeah I was shocked at some of the other comments you got as well. I am glad you had the nutritionist look at the menu and tell you it was good though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)