Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering trying to get a CGM....

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 155 Total Views

We considering getting a CGM. DS is in the throws of puberty and needless to say that is wrecking havoc on his numbers. A couple of appointments ago his Endo mentioned a CGM as a possiblity, but at the time DS was having such a difficult time adjusting to Jr High life that we didn't want to add anything else to his load, and his endo mutually agreed. So now 6 months later we are at a point where I feel that we can really sit down and talk about it. DS has an appointment next month so we may try to move forward at that point...maybe.

So I have questions, if you have a CGM or have tried to get a CGM etc.. if anyone can give advice, info, etc that would be amazing!

1. Has anyone gotten a CGM approved through Tricare? I know that some insurances are iffy about approving a CGM...but I don't know how Tricare is about it. We didn't have any issues when we started pumping, so hopefully thats a good sign.

2. What CGM(s) has your child used? What were your thoughts? DS is 12, but a small stature 12yr old with very very little fat, so a longer 90 degree set would be less desirable than a 45 degree insertion.

3. How difficult was it to get use to?

4. How long did the approval process take?

5. How long did it take to get the hang of it? Was it like pumping and you had to visit with your endo for multiple education sessions?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mpace89
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

We have one for my DS who is 13, we've had it for about 2 years, and use it off an on.  He has the minimed pump, so the cgm is integrated, which was key for us because he's always losing things.  The sensor wire(?) is longer than the pump cannula, and ours goes in at 45 degree; I don't think we have an option for anything else with the MM.  We've reserved his butt and arms for the sensor and thighs and stomach for the pump.  The butt worked very well in the beginning because the length of the needle freaked him out and he couldn't see it, and he has more padding there.  We also use numbing cream for the sensor insertion because that needle is long. 

It wasn't hard for us to get with insurance, but we have Aetna.  I think it took a may 4-6 weeks from the time we mentioned we wanted it to when we actually had it.  His A1C had to be below a certain number, 8 I think, he had to have 2 hypo events in 30 days, and we had to make detailed food and BG logs for two weeks.  Detailed to the point of the brand of bread so the nutritionist could check the carbs.  The reasoning was they wanted to make sure we knew how to count properly.

When we started using his arm, it took a little bit for him to get used to, and even now, he occasionally rips it out (even though we tape it down) by catching his arm on something, but he's a klutz :)  He rarely looks at though, but he will test when it gives the high or low warning alarm.  It's much better at catching highs than lows - when he goes low, he tends to drop too fast for the CGM to pick up before he feels it.

Training was a single class with the pump trainer, and he walked out with it on that night.

If you have any questions, message me and I'll do my best to answer them.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)