Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Started! Must Read First!---Thank You!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 883 Total Views

We have so much great information, it can become a bit hard to sticky post it all, after all I want the board to stay Clutter free!

So If you are just Joining us please take the time to read and reply to the Welcome Post!
Just Click Here and a new window will open and you'll be taken directly there!

Rule and Guidlines-----
This Group is a very friendly support group, we all have differnt methods of taking care of our kids and will have differences of opinions whether it's a difference of how we believe diabetes is caused, or what we allow our children to eat, some of us do the Bolus as we go method while others stick to stricter diets.
I will not tolerate any bashing of another mom, for any reason, if you dont agree you can state your opinion but no personal attacks please we havn't had any problem in the past so I hope it will stay that way :)

Vents---- Venting about anything you need to is allowed it's normal we all have vents to make, if someone is venting about a profession yourself or a loved one holds remember they are venting about their specific experience please dont take it to heart.

Support---That's why we are here to offer support and to help each other through our daily battles if you just need a picker upper for the day dont hesitate to come on and share your tears with us.

okay now that that's outta the way----

Wondering Where To Start?

Here are the Posts that are simply a must for all new members! :)
Check them out!

About Us----
Reply to this post with 7 random things all about you! You'll be surprised what us moms have in common!

Find out who lives near you, by clicking here!

See which moms have kiddo's your child's age, by clicking here!

Please dont forget to Add your Child's DXD Date by Clicking Here!

And to add your Birthday, to our Too Sweet Mom's Bday List  by Clicking Here!

Finally, check out the Too Sweet Website Located at
http://www.toosweetkids.ning.com
It's a great online support community for the whole family!
So get go ahead and sign up, it's free and fun! and best of all it's run by me! :)

Reading all this and all you can think is why me? Why my baby?
Why am I here? What could have been the reason, please read these posts....

Her Battle

How God Selects the Mother.....

She Still Smiles

http://www.cafemom.com/group/toosweetkids

by on Jul. 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JoyceLynn
by Member on Jul. 22, 2008 at 1:37 PM

I just read this because I still feel new here even though I've been a member for about a month or so.  Just wanted to take the time to say THANKS, Scout-Mom!!!  I noticed the link you put in for "Her Battle" & that really really meant alot to me especially since I just posted it this morning.  :)  It's a gem I've kept under-cover b/c I never thought anyone could understand what it's like.  I love this group!---Thank YOU!

Scout-Mom
by Group Owner on Jul. 22, 2008 at 2:20 PM

Thank You for sharing it with us! :)

Quoting JoyceLynn:

I just read this because I still feel new here even though I've been a member for about a month or so.  Just wanted to take the time to say THANKS, Scout-Mom!!!  I noticed the link you put in for "Her Battle" & that really really meant alot to me especially since I just posted it this morning.  :)  It's a gem I've kept under-cover b/c I never thought anyone could understand what it's like.  I love this group!---Thank YOU!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/toosweetkids

JoyceLynn
by Member on Sep. 3, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I just didn't know where else to put this information without starting another post... LOL.  Due to a reply I was making to a mom, I was looking at numbers.  I tend to notice the little things.  There are currently 156 members of this group but there are 45,740 members of the Pregnancy group.  Just made me wonder how many potential mothers who are unaware.

According to http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-statistics.jsp Only 8% of the US population has diabetes & out of that small amount, it's an even smaller amount of people with Type 1.  Only 5% to 10% of people diagnosed with Type I are adults so that leaves a super small amount of us moms with diabetic children!  WOW!

Yeah "it could be worse", as one mom put it, but gosh the numbers make you feel even smaller & even more appreciative of this support group!!!  From the ADA's website, you can also see the stats from last year jointly done with the CDC.  I printed out this .pdf so I can carry it with me on The AS2 Project that I posted about earlier.  :)  http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2007.pdf

wendyms
by Member on Feb. 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM

This is a wonderful sticky! I would suggest adding a link for info on 504 plans also.

emtmommy02
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Hi all, I am new but not too new, I was here when my oldest was first diagnosed, but things started happening so fast and got crazy that I lost contact with everything. I just decided that I needed to come back and talk to mom's who are going threw what I am going threw. I have missed talking to everyone. I even changed my screenname to make a fresh start. My old screen name was arbonnemom02. Scout-Mom, thank you so much for having a place where we can all talk and share. You wouldn't believe how much I missed it.

Have a great holiday everyone!

Natasha Hart- Mom of 2 wonderful boys Joey(7) and Hunter (4) happy memorial day

thisbattymom
by Member on Aug. 19, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Hi. I am joining the group because my daughter (9yrs) was diagnosed last month (7-15-9) with Type 1 Diabetes. We are starting to get past the "OMG" shocked part and on to the "now what do we do to make this work" part.

I am VERY thankful that her school is one of my best resources/support... as I know this is not the typical situation. She already had an IEP because she has other disabilities/challenges so getting this part set up was fairly easy. Her nurse makes me feel confidant my daughter is safe at school b/c she has a child with type 1 too.

She is the first type 1 in the family (as far out as second cousins & grandparents) so we are completely blindsided by this. I noticed 'something' not right about her a week or so before & started talking to friends/family to get advice when she suddenly started drinking copious amounts of water. A couple astute friends suggested diabetes but then we thought well, maybe it is just the summer weather. Then when she started throwing up, we thought she just had a flu. Only 24 hours later we were rushing her to the ER and she was slipping into a coma. Thankfully, the staff was on the ball & had her diagnosed before she was even in a bed... no more than 5 minutes after we entered the ER waiting room.

Somewhere between 2-3 hours later she began responding to me coherently. She was able to go home just 4 days later. I felt just like when I first brought her home as a baby; "how could I possibly take care of someone so precious?" I'm still quite anxious... but we're better now & I'm looking for more information so this becomes easy for her to live with. I try to help her find the 'Pollyanna moments' in all her challenges, and this will be no different.

As crazy as this sounds I am really OK with this newest diagnosis. I think ultimatly this feeling comes from a combination of having been through a few other big diagnosises and the hindsight that allows me to see how God has prepared our family over the past 2 yrs for this latest growing experience. The only real difficult part is making the adjustment; new diet, schedules for the first time, anxiety over the doses, getting her sugars in ballance, etc.

So anyway, long story short: I'm here to gather information & once we get 'old hat' at this I hope to help others. I have located a 'patient advocacy training' group a hour away and eventually I hope to join them. My daughter falls into several catagories of group that need an advocate so I guess this might be where I am being led...

BrookeAH
by Member on Oct. 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM
momiismunchkins
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:30 AM

thank you for the info

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN