Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

best time for site change

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:17 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 234 Total Views

I am trying to get a handle on site changes!  I was just curious what time of day others might change their sites.  I like her to take a shower first and mornings seem to be too busy.  But It suggests not to do them at night before bed.  Does anyone have any suggestions that I may not have thought of??

AMG4

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kolnbresmom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:23 PM

We try to do it after dinner. I say try becuase lately we have been doing it before I leave for work in the morning becuase we are getting the low reservior in the morning. But we are pretty quick about it. It usually takes us about 5 min. to change. The longest thing is the rewind and the prime back into the pump. Plus he is home for a good 20 minutes before my mother takes them to the bus. And he checks as soon as he gets to school.

Scout-Mom
by Group Owner on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:44 PM

we like to do micheal's before dinner so we know by his bedtime bg chceck whether or not their are any prolems.

bennysmama1009
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM

we do dinner at 6, bath by 6:30 and then the site change by 7.

bed is USUALLY around 9-9:30 and we do the post check then. that way..like scoutmom, we can make any site changes if need be, before he falls asleep.

but..i've changed his site while he's been asleep, too. i just make sure i am awake 2 hours later to double check it.

these all happen pretty regularly..or at least in my perfect world.

in reality, if the pump tells me we are under 10 units, i do a change. whatever time of day it is. when i do a change, i can usually measure the insulin to be pretty exact for the 2 days...i should be a rocket scientist : )

hahaha!!

so...how many of you change every 2 days?? every 3?? other??

Kolnbresmom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Quoting bennysmama1009:

bed is USUALLY around 9-9:30 and we do the post check then. that way..like scoutmom, we can make any site changes if need be, before he falls asleep.

but..i've changed his site while he's been asleep, too. i just make sure i am awake 2 hours later to double check it.

in reality, if the pump tells me we are under 10 units, i do a change. whatever time of day it is. when i do a change, i can usually measure the insulin to be pretty exact for the 2 days...i should be a rocket scientist : )

hahaha!!

LOL exactly in a perfect world.....

I measure out enough for every 3 days. We have gone as far as 4, but more just to see what would happen. I know that sounds crazy, but you never know until you try. But we will never do that again....Kolby's sugars were through the roof. So it's every 3 days and yes, I use the insulin amount to remind me. For god sakes, I have 2 kids a husband who acts like he is the 3rd kid and all the other stuff to deal with in life. No I am not perfect by anymeans, but at least I have the pump to remind me:)

AMG4
by Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Quoting Kolnbresmom:

Quoting bennysmama1009:

hahaha!!

LOL exactly in a perfect world.....

I measure out enough for every 3 days. We have gone as far as 4, but more just to see what would happen. I know that sounds crazy, but you never know until you try. But we will never do that again....Kolby's sugars were through the roof. So it's every 3 days and yes, I use the insulin amount to remind me. For god sakes, I have 2 kids a husband who acts like he is the 3rd kid and all the other stuff to deal with in life. No I am not perfect by anymeans, but at least I have the pump to remind me:)

We were changing every 3 days but after her last appointment her third day seemed to be on the high side -so we go with every 2 days now.  I have also found her numbers are better with the site on her tummy compared to legs and buttocks.But  we now just changed from the pediatric sites to regular  this week- I had to go into school to change her site today  - no delivery alarms :( And I thought I might get something done at home today -oh well it will be there tomorrow! 

maybe we will try after dinner.  It sounds like that is a good time for many.

bennysmama1009
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:18 AM

ben throws such a fit when i try to put the site on his belly. he cries so hard and his little AMAZING 2 year old SIX PACK of a stomach (ugh) is so tight, i can feel the needle go through muscle...so i usually avoid it unless i really need to put it there.

i am pretty sure it is because he can see me handle the needle and then go for the tummy--i mean when i go for the let or upper butt i am out of sight range!!

i use the numbing cream, but eh, i'm not so sure if it really works. sometimes i think HECK YEAH!! others, i just say screw it and stick him.

we use the contact detach...and for the most part they stay put, i still find myself putting medical tape over the site so it doesn't come out because the 'sticker' is peeling.

what insertion sets do you use...for those of you who have toddlers, too, of course!!

well, anyone can answer....duh!

mamabrandie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 4:35 PM

we change any time of the day that we happen to think of it or remember that we need to.  we usually do every three days and her numbers don't go high that last day but i am really trying to push her toward every 2 days.  i would like that to be her habit long before she's out from under my watchful eye. ;)  she has let it go 4-5 before when i didn't remember to remind her......still good numbers, but just not a good idea at all!

momof4131
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 1:49 PM
We usually do dinner, bath, numbing cream and site change. She can be off of the pump for an hour at a time, so we quickly do a bath/shower and get that cream on right after so that it has time to sink in really good and work. My husband put a site on himself both ways, with the numbing cream and without, and says that we should never do it without because of how well it works. I didn't try it (I figure giving birth to three babies and then surgery to get my tubes tied were enough and it was up to him to experiment). I'm a bit "needle phobic". Enough to go through birth two of the three times naturally, and they were BIG babies! We change it every three days......
Scout-Mom
by Group Owner on Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Quoting bennysmama1009:

hahaha!!

we do it every 3 nless it's needed sooner :)

AMG4
by Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Quoting bennysmama1009:

ben throws such a fit when i try to put the site on his belly. he cries so hard and his little AMAZING 2 year old SIX PACK of a stomach (ugh) is so tight, i can feel the needle go through muscle...so i usually avoid it unless i really need to put it there.

i am pretty sure it is because he can see me handle the needle and then go for the tummy--i mean when i go for the let or upper butt i am out of sight range!!

i use the numbing cream, but eh, i'm not so sure if it really works. sometimes i think HECK YEAH!! others, i just say screw it and stick him.

we use the contact detach...and for the most part they stay put, i still find myself putting medical tape over the site so it doesn't come out because the 'sticker' is peeling.

what insertion sets do you use...for those of you who have toddlers, too, of course!!

well, anyone can answer....duh!

We were using the pediatric silhouette sites (medtronic) and we had to medical tape them also.  We have only been able to go to her tummy this last year- she had no fat for her injections for a long time on her tummy.  She is now 8 and we are just changing to quick set sites and using the tummy.  We will see if these sites hold for her.  We were worried to change from the pediatric because she is so active but we can only try. Of course she wasn't a toddler she was 5.  I can't imagine - he is amazing! and you must be also!

Numbing cream -- wow we never have tried it   :( yikes what a difference that may have made.  

AMG4

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)