Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

odd blood sugar numbers

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:15 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

ok So yesterday was really odd. My daughter got up from bed saying she was low. So i took her blood she was 71 so i have her 3 mini reeses checked 15 min later said 259 but i retested cause she didn't wipe her finger with achohal so I new it could be wrong well when we tested again it said 52 so we tested again to make sure that was right and it said 42. So we gave some milk and apricots. Well we waited 15 min and tested again said 59 so we gave some real coke. checked again said 84 well we tested once more just to make sure and it was back down to 62 we tried 3 different meters and different fingers and all did the same thing would say high one minute test again and would tell low we checked swo much because i could hardly believe that in such a short time the 3 pieces of chcolate would jump her up to 259 in only 15 min as its never done that before and even after all the fruit milk etc. we still geting low numbers what could this be???

Are you a parent who wants to find something educational for your child to do on weekends or on summer break. Do you have a child who likes the internets. well heres a one stop place for you. My group has all the good sites that are kid friendly from games,to coloring pages,to educational sites and even helpful sites for the parent. So come on over.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/kidsites

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Ellysmom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:56 PM

My daughter had one day last summer where we just could not get her blood sugar up. It was so frustrating. luckily it hasn't happened since. I have had some days with her where one finger would read 10-20 points higher than another. Who knows why. I don't think it's unusual though. My DH has type 1 and has the same thing happen to him.

heatheryn
by Member on Sep. 17, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I believe I have read that meters have a 30% error margin meaning they can be off by 30%. 

You could still get lower numbers after the chocolate and milk because both have fat in them which will delay the sugar from taking effect. The coke should work right away as there is no fat or protein.

Sometimes, if you are catching the BS as it is falling, it may not respond the way it usually does. My daughter has been in the 70's which we treated and rechecked and she was in the 50's because it was dropping very rapidly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)