Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it wrong not to like somebody?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 283 Total Views

I wanted to get the consensus on this. I know that Jesus said to love your enemies. I want to understand what that means. I need it really spelled out. Without getting into too much detail, there is someone in my life that I HAVE to deal with. I am very nice to said person, I don't provoke, I don't, in my eyes, think I do anything to deserve what this person dishes out. What I get, is brash, abrasive, vulgar attitude. I am going to be honest and say that I don't like this person. If left up to me, I would have nothing to do with them.

My brother, who's a youth pastor, gave a sermon on forgiveness. I think that forgiveness is definitely tied into this, I have forgiven this person, over and over again. And I know that I will have to again. But do I have to like them?

by on Mar. 12, 2010 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mollymc
by Group Admin on Mar. 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hmmm.  Well, Do you think Jesus loves them?  Do you think He likes them?  Do you also think that Jesus loves and likes us when we are awful? 

My advice is to pray and ask the Spirit to show you.  My guess is you are being convicted gently right now to even pose the question.  Show this person love no matter what they do to you and PRAY for them, especially before you are to see them.  They will see the difference in you and that their meaness isn't working.  It is most likely Satan in them venting towards you anyway.  Think of it like that and it might help.

Remember, Satan cannot steal your joy, but he can trick you into giving it up! Jesus paid the price so you could have peace, joy and forgiveness! It's priceless so hang on to it!

Love in Christ,

Molly

jeninjuice
by on Mar. 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Quoting mollymc:

Hmmm.  Well, Do you think Jesus loves them?  Do you think He likes them?  Do you also think that Jesus loves and likes us when we are awful? 

My advice is to pray and ask the Spirit to show you.  My guess is you are being convicted gently right now to even pose the question.  Show this person love no matter what they do to you and PRAY for them, especially before you are to see them.  They will see the difference in you and that their meaness isn't working.  It is most likely Satan in them venting towards you anyway.  Think of it like that and it might help.

Remember, Satan cannot steal your joy, but he can trick you into giving it up! Jesus paid the price so you could have peace, joy and forgiveness! It's priceless so hang on to it!

Love in Christ,

Molly

Thank you Molly. I have been really letting it sink in over the last week about what your response said. I have been in lots of prayer. God did show me that this person is his child, also. I took your advice in praying before I see this person. I do see a difference, in myself. A few scriptures have come to me, which I've included. I actually want to like them, if that makes sense. I honestly love this person, and I am really troubled when I encounter their vulgarity. Please pray for me, I will continue to pray for myself and this person. I think I have my answer, though

1 John 2:9-11

9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Ephesians 6:12

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places

Matthew 5:43-48

43 “You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

JJsMommy11
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2010 at 12:52 AM

More than anything, I would say you should respect them, love them, and pray for them. My pastor is in the middle of a series concerning this very subject. Along with forgiving this person, you must pray for them, pray that God will bless their life, that they will see His light and His love and turn a corner in their own lives so that they will follow Christ. But once you pray for this person, and you pray for your problem with this person, you must let it go and TRUST that God will take care of it, and take care of this person, don't carry this baggage around with you as if you don't trust God to handle it. The more you do this, the more you'll have peace with this person and you will know that God will take care of them in His own time and (with time) this person won't bother you so much, because it won't be your problem anymore. Hope this helps! big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN