Even if it is 95 percent the other person and only 5 percent of self, there is still something you can do to improve the communication in the relationship by taking ownership of your part of the problem. Look inward at what your actions, reactions, and words are doing in the disagreement. Is what you are doing continuing the argument? Take the time to step back and see what you could be doing better so that you can have more effective communication with your partner.
You cannot change someone else, but you can change yourself and hope that the other person reacts in a positive way.
Please note, I am not a professional in giving this advice, but it is something I have learned over the years on how to have better communication in any relationship.