Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I Learn the Cherokee Heritage?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 594 Total Views

Should I learn my Cherokee heritage even though nobody in my family has learned or kept it? My greatgreat and x3 and x4 grandparents were full cherokee. I know I may only share a drop of their blood in me but it's still my family.  If I should learn their heritage how and where do I learn this? Totally lost here.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zacknalexmom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM

BUMP!

Zacknalexmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM

BUMP!

cherrynarissa
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

well then it is more than a drop 48 3/4th percent is close to half cherokee.  so thats like not know almost a half of your ancestry.  if you go on eastern cherokee bands website they have many cultural links also their are plenty of language sources as well which i would be happy to point out

cherrynarissa
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

giduwa dialect is the dialect of the cherokee who remainned behind and did not go on the trail of tears in southeasteern usa.   kituwah is the dialect of western cherokee in oklahoma

Zacknalexmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Thanks Cherrynarissa :)

cherrynarissa
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

here is one recipe:

4 lbs berries

4 cups water

2 cups maple sugar

half a pack or cornstarch or arrowroot flour/starch

Mash fruit. Set aside some of the water and mix well with the cornstarch or arrowroot until smooth. Put mashed fruit, water and sugar in a pot and slowly bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the watered cornstarch or arrowroot mixture and return the pot to low heat, stirring until it thickens to a pudding consistency. Sprinkle with warm maple syrup or maple sugar and ground spicewood (from the carolina allspice plant)

cherrynarissa
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Wojapi (cherrokee berry pudding) is the recipe above

bean bread, fry bread, grape dumplings, grits, ramps with eggs, corn pone, sassafrass tea, spicewood tea, sumac lemonade are traditional cherokee recipes.

though fry bread and grape dumpling are not ancient recipes they were invented with the comming of europeans because they contain wheat flour and sugar.

Kat770
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

mmmm, grape dumplings.

Thriftchick
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

i want to learn it too

Thriftchick
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:20 PM

i have made this too, very yummy

Quoting cherrynarissa:

here is one recipe:

4 lbs berries

4 cups water

2 cups maple sugar

half a pack or cornstarch or arrowroot flour/starch

Mash fruit. Set aside some of the water and mix well with the cornstarch or arrowroot until smooth. Put mashed fruit, water and sugar in a pot and slowly bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the watered cornstarch or arrowroot mixture and return the pot to low heat, stirring until it thickens to a pudding consistency. Sprinkle with warm maple syrup or maple sugar and ground spicewood (from the carolina allspice plant)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)