Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you need to give potty training a break?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 252 Total Views

Well I have been potty training one of my twins since I thought he was the most ready, so its been five days training but only 3 days using the 3 day method and he has only used the potty 3 times (pee) He runs to the bathroom after he has peed, sits on the potty for a few seconds and then hops off. He was so happy the other times that he has used it. Sometimes he runs to the bathroom door but by the time I open the door he has pped all over the place. My family says to keep on because it will take time, should I continue? or should I try to get him to use a potty instead of the toilet since this way he can use the potty in the room if he needs to? His twin brother lately hates to have a dirty diaper and will take it off if I dont get to him, he also will sit on the potty occasionally, should I switch who I am potty training or should I do both or stick with potty training the one I have been training? Oh and I almost forgot, the one I am training at the moment says no to everything, the other tiwn does not say no as much. No sure if that meant anything but just in case. Thanks in advance. They are 26 months.

toddler boyBrian (potty training)  toddler boyDominic

by on Mar. 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TwinMomma2006
by on Mar. 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Don't give up!  Keep on trying, he will get it:)  I used the 3 day method on my twin girls and trained them at the same time.  My only suggestion is to use potty chairs and put them in the same room your going to be in so that you can reduce accidents.  One of my daughters took to potty training really fast and only had maybe 4-5 accidents total.  In fact Addyson didn't even have an accident the very first day of training.  (I was shocked!)  Avery, on the other hand, wouldn't even pee in the potty for the first 3 days!  She just peed her pants all day.  I could have her sitting on the potty for more than 20 minutes and she would hold it until I let her get up, then she peed her pants.  (very frustrating)  I introduced a reward system and that got her motivated!  It took probably a month or so before I felt like they really had the hang of it.

So don't give up:)  Be consistant so they aren't confused about what you expect from them. 

good luck 

momma2twins_07
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for the motivation and the advice, I was so ready to give up, but today he did so well, no accidents and he pooped in the potty, his brother is also getting interested, man I cant wait to be almost diaper free, lol I say almost since I also have a 6 month old baby girl. Again thanks.

Mom23boys0408
by on Apr. 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM

What ever you do DO NOT give up! I had both my guy's just about potty trained when they were 2 1/2 and their day care stopped taking them to the bathroom when they were 3 when they needed to go because they didnt want to constantly go up and down the steps so they went backward's on me and I gave up. WORST THING I COULD HAVE DONE. I couldnt ge them to go again. LUCKILY I got them in our local head start system and they helped and I have 1 completely potty trained and the other 3/4 of the way there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)