Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A MOM IN NEED

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 293 Total Views

I HAVE   A    YOUNG TEEN WITH ADHD HOW DO I COPEsurrender

SHA WRIGHT
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kanalee
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Routine routine routine.... make out detailed and simple lists to be followed for each daily task.

Relax, and have your teen in bed every night on time so you can have some down time.... Oh and if your child forgets something allow them to suffer the consequences..... EXAMPLE: forgot book a school, don't run and get it. They can get a lower grade for turning in the homework late.

Peace,
Kana

newbiestepmama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I am in a similar boat. My SS8 is being tested for ADHD right now. His counselor is doing the screening because she is pretty sure he has it. We have been so frustrated with him lately. He went from having all A's in school last year to failing 2 subjects this marking period. He struggles with math homework every night and tells us he doesn't understand and yet he gets 90 or above on all his math tests. He constantly forgets to do or turn in homework. Homework that should take him 20-30 mins a night to complete takes 2-3 hours! We know he is smart, but it's like we have to hold his hand through everything!!! Talking to him is like talking to a 2 yr old! Instead of looking at you and listening, he starts playing with anything he can get his hands on or he just walks away while you are in mid sentence! When I get him to stand still and look at me, he acts like he is listening and says yes he understands, but then comes back 2 minutes later asking me how to do something again! I would love any advice you Mama's have to give!!! 

pregnancy
crashley_05
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Haven't had to deal with that but I'm sure there is a group on here somewhere that could offer you some advice! Good luck Mama!

RebecaSnowden
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Hi, my son has been diagnosed with autism, it is somehow more complicated because his disorder is hard to deal with, but what your kiddo and mine have in common is that they are just gorgeous and smart! Just pray a lot for him and try to educate yourself to help him focus. When you sit with him to do homework It will take longer than a "typical" child would, but that is not an obstacle. And a diagnosis is not a label! Your son is still yours from when you had it in your arms as a baby. If you can get therapy for him through school that would help you a lot. Don't get overwhelmed by the changes... one day at a time! Hope this helps... i'll keep you in my prayers.

WorkatHomeMom08
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:17 AM

i am not an expert in ADD or ADHD but I would like to ask you a question. Do you use a lot of household and personal products in your home that have toxic chemicals in them? That may be one of the causes. If I were you, I would check with my doctor and see if this might be one of the culprits aggravating your son. I work with a health and wellness company and usually hear many testimonials of parents who had the same problems as yourself with your child and got great results by cleaning up the toxins in their home and giving them a very natural nutritional supplement t help fight this off. I am not promising miracles here but if you would like to hear more on this great company, do not hesitate to message me. I will connect you to a live Webcast so you can decide for yourself if this is something you would want to take for a test drive; for your son's sake at least.

Alice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)