Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have Accent? Can't Teach English here in Arizona.

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 161 Total Views

Teachers in Arizona are now facing a new challenge.  Killer bullies?  No.  Pregnancy packs?  No.  It's teachers with heavy accents!  Oh my gosh.  I know.  I could not believe that a school system would allow people with accents, who have college degrees and years of experience to teach students "proper" English.  I have sooo many questions about the mind set of those with power in Arizona.  Government officials first passed a law ultimately allowing law enforcement to question people who appear to be here illegally.  The controversial law was defended by state lawmakers who tried to explain that the appearance of illegal had nothing to do with skin color.  I'm still waiting on the list of criteria that would cause one to fall under the heading of appearing illegal.  I hope standing around sipping on Slurpees isn't one of them, because my brown skinned family just loves those things:)  And now we have school officials informing one teacher, who has over two decades of experience teaching, that she may have to be reassigned if an audit reveals that her accent is too thick.    Whew..... glad Arizona is so on top of this conserving America thing.  Please sign up to follow my blog. 

by on May. 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
JodyPagaz
by on May. 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM

While it is sad, I know first hand how much of a issue it can actually be on a child and thier speach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)