Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of pets do you think are okay to have around children?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 202 Total Views

I am just really bored sitting at home playing with my pet and it crossed my mind how many people would think I am crazy for having the pet I have with a 5 year old a 2 year old and me being pregnant!!

So I am asking you lady's!! What are the pets that you would NEVER bring around your children and what are the pets you would?

Oh ya I have a 4 foot python named Eden : )

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ericha7
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

AWESOME...Will you post a picture :)

i have a half wolf at my house, it doesn't bother me but some people worry.

Oobersezzy
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 3:17 PM

oh yick! i am deathly afraid of snakes. lol. But that doesnt mean the little guy (or girl) is bad for the kids. I just avoid reptiles as a rule. But i think most are okay, as long as  you wash hands and makes sure no one gets bit or has an allergy. I actually think my fiance and i are adopting a rat as our new pet. Our neighbors breed dumbo rats, and one just had a litter (is that what you call it?), and so we are thinking of taking in one. Plus, easy poo clean up and we can keep the cage out of toddler range later on. (and no pet deposit required.)

Growing up, my parents had dogs, cats, cockateils, fish, a goat, and tons of other stuff. Our house was a half-way lodge for just about any stray there was. Later on, my mom picked up an iguana- which i hate hate hate. But, i was exposed to an array of different animals, and all it did was teach me respect and love and responsibility.

One i would stay away from? tarantulas and the like. Some one (or thing) is bound to get hurt.

CafeMom Tickers
AmberlynC
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM

we have a Great Dane and a Sheltie as for dogs, we also have sugar gliders. I don't think there is a wrong type of animal to have with kids, you just have to train your animals. and teach your children.

tazz67mom
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I have a rottie, great dane and a Cat.

Affirmation
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I think it's good for children to grow up around pets because it teaches them at a young age to have respect and common sense around them, whereas most people get rid of their pets the second baby arrives, which I disagree with. I think pets are family too and they are a commitment. I grew up with a variety of animals and I loved it! Ranging from horses, chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, cats, and dogs.

I like your python's name :-p  I would never own a snake but I don't have anything against it as long as people are responsible with them. You sound like you are. :) So props to you.

cat

Jessand2boys
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Quoting AmberlynC:

we have a Great Dane and a Sheltie as for dogs, we also have sugar gliders. I don't think there is a wrong type of animal to have with kids, you just have to train your animals. and teach your children.

I agree :)  I have a poodle named pheobe, a cranky siamese named Bantu and a betta fish.

amnesialand69
by on Jun. 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM
i so wish we could have pets where we live. we rent from his bil so pretty much we can only have fish. to the ones who have the rat and the snake you guys friggen ROCK!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)