Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about switching to solids PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 144 Total Views

My DD is about 5 months now and her doc wants her to start eating solids. She told me to start infant rice cereal, and once she gets used to that, introduce baby food. I heard you had to start with fruits, then do veggies. I have been feeding DD some inf rice cereal once in the morning and then once at night before bed. The rest of the feedings are just formula. I dont know when to start feeding her baby food and what to start with. And how often do I feed her? And do I give her formula with it? Before or after? I didn't really get to ask the doc because she is always rushing around and I always forget to ask the most important questions. I just wanna know how yall introduced your baby to solids. What baby food did you start with? How often did you feed her/him? How long did you feed cereal until you switched to baby food? When did you start feeding your baby finger foods? I am just really curious about the whole food transition...

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
momma_2b_2010
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM

BUMP!

Petite.Amante
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:34 AM

Most doctors say to start with veggies FIRST because 1) fruits have a lot of acids in them, which may cause diarrhea or rash and 2) fruits are sweet, and baby may get used to the sweet and not take to veggies because vegetables "don't taste as good".

Just get a few jars at the grocery store. It should say what "stage" it is. Start with stage 1 - it's pure fruit or vegetable puree, with no additives or chunks. It's very runny, so make sure you have an extra hand-towel and bib when you try!

Don't use formula with it (this gave DD diarrhea). Just put a little bit of the baby food in a small container (like tupperware or a bowl) and put the rest of un-touched food in the fridge. It's good for 24 hours after you open the jar.

Your baby may not take to solids right away, but on the other hand, she might love it. Every child is different. Her natural instinct is to suck from a bottle (or breast), so at first the food may fall out of her mouth. This is normal. Just use the spoon to scoop it off her chin and try again.

I started with 2 "feedings" a day. Breakfast and dinner, giving her a break for "lunch" of just her bottle. Once she's older and gets the hang of eating from a spoon, you can add cereal in it. It makes it thicker and will make her fuller for a longer amount of time.

Personally, I started solids at 3 months (checked with pediatrician first - he was all for it). By the time DD was about 5 months I added cereal, and followed the "stages" on the baby food for her age or development.

I know it's a lot of information right now, but you can write it down or keep this post around as a reminder. If you ever have any questions you can PM me :)

menagerebelle.xanga.com  (My new blog on being a Menagere Belle)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)