Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help with Health Insurance Problem..I asking for help not a HANDOUT

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:45 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 301 Total Views
Ok I thought Obama signed a Health Insurance bill for everyone..
But my dad went down to apply for government assissted health insurance or at least Food Stamps.. they turned him down said he make to much..
My dad only make 23,000 a yr...

Rent $737-this low income compared to what everyone else is charging average rent is 27000 a month
Phone $38
Plavix $769
Metaformin $386
Glucophage $219
Glucotrol $209
An doc visit is 250 every visit plus $42 for doc to write the prescriptsion..
I know he has no dependants but he live in DC area..I think this a lot for him to have to pay for meds an not get either Health insurance or Foodstamps..
Does anybody know of a good,affordable health insurance..cause my dad has no food to feed himself..he had to choose btween his meds an food..it breaks my heart cause I use to help him out an can no longer pay for his discount prescription plan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jklmama027
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:55 PM

ok... out here yeah it seems tough to get on welfare but I just did it like a couple months ago.. what you can bring... is any form that shows what income he is getting, a paper stating how much he pays for rent, medical bills, SS card, Birth cert, and ID. go to welfare and let them know of the situation and see what all they can do to help you guys... i mean not to sound racist becuase I am the complete opposite but what I saw and did my own form of averaging out the numbers, if "illigal" mexicans, hilljacks, and theres another group i wanted to add but can't think right now, can get on it why can't people that really do need it???

FreeSpriT4eva
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:39 AM
Thx but here its not considered welafe unless u get cash assisstance...he really doesn't want foodstamps..he only wants health care..I pushed him to try an get foodstamps if they won't give him health care..his medical bill average more the both his monthly pay checks...

They didn't even ask for his bills..they only ask to see his net pay...
EvansMommy2009
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Do some research, I am not sure about DC but in Ok we have some state health care programs that go by your income (they are not considered welfare since you pay into them). Since they are not goverment programs they have a diffrent set of rules to follow. I just signed up for one and for me and my husband it's about $33.00 a month and they pay really well on perscriptions. Since I only work part time my employer doesnt provide health insurance, thats th only way I found out about this.

Mommy of 1 little angelangel mini

FreeSpriT4eva
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:09 AM
I didn't those programs existed...I don't even know how to start looking but I will..thx

Quoting EvansMommy2009:

Do some research, I am not sure about DC but in Ok we have some state health care programs that go by your income (they are not considered welfare since you pay into them). Since they are not goverment programs they have a diffrent set of rules to follow. I just signed up for one and for me and my husband it's about $33.00 a month and they pay really well on perscriptions. Since I only work part time my employer doesnt provide health insurance, thats th only way I found out about this.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jklmama027
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Well you don't have to get the food stamps... that's just an option... I'm talking about the health care even if he does have and I quote "insurance" medicare/medicaid (anything under medicaid: molina, blah blah blah) helps. it covers what the other insurance does not... and I'm not sure but there may also be some sort of financial help as well... I'm not sure but I googled welfare for DC and thought maybe this could help I'm not sure though.... http://www.publicwelfare.org/

miss_yancey
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 4:24 AM

My X had a heart attack he is only 41 and will be 42 this month. he has 3 stences in his arterys right now and CAD. He applied for ahcccs when he was taken into the hospital for a heart attack and ahcccs covered him. He has Health Choice. Mabey your dad should try another health plan. You can you look it up online I don''t think that there is a rule that says you can't change your health plan(mabey it depends on you state idk) I would look into it.

FreeSpriT4eva
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM
I will check it out..I have looked into so many big name health insurance like Kaiser,Blue Cross Blue Shield,etc..an they either turned him down cause of his pre existing conditon or wanted to charge him $700-800 amonth premium..which they still want him to pay $35-$50 for co-pay to see the dr...

Quoting jklmama027:

Well you don't have to get the food stamps... that's just an option... I'm talking about the health care even if he does have and I quote "insurance" medicare/medicaid (anything under medicaid: molina, blah blah blah) helps. it covers what the other insurance does not... and I'm not sure but there may also be some sort of financial help as well... I'm not sure but I googled welfare for DC and thought maybe this could help I'm not sure though.... http://www.publicwelfare.org/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charmed7up
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Try these site for his prescriptions

http://www.pparx.org/

http://www.accesstobenefits.org/

Here's another to try and see if he's eligible:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx

Here's medicaid - I can't find the eligibility guidelines but this is for DC

http://dhcf.dc.gov/dhcf/cwp/view,A,1412,Q,609122.asp#1

As far as going to the doctor - have your dad look up local clinics to help with costs. Some are free or on a sliding scale.  And ask the doctors if they have financial assistance. If he ends up in the hospital, always ask if there is financial assistance. My husband had a surgery and I got the bill cut in half b/c we were in the correct income bracket. Also, ask the pharmacy if they have a program where you order online. I used to order my son's diabetes medicine online, I would pay for 2 months and get the 3rd month free.

Also, check out Walmart. You wrote Metaformin, but walmart has Metformin for $4 for 30 day, or $10 for 90. I would take all his prescriptions into Walmart and ask the pharmacist if they can help with the costs.

Hope some of that helps.

C7

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)