Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online college -- yay or nay?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 148 Total Views

I am a 28 year old mom of two who works full time outside of the home.  My schedule is demanding, but I am thinking of furthering my education with a distance learning program for a BA in Social and Criminal Justice.  I looked up University of Phoenix (too expensive) and spoke today with an admissions rep from Ashford University and I am wondering if anyone might have some input regarding distance learning programs (online colleges) or Ashford University in general?  Thanks in advance!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sbeyer94
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM
I would be ware of for profit colleges. Yes, they give you an education, but a public or private non-chain university will help with financial aid and other things. Schools like University of Phoenix, National American University, Caplan College, etc. just want your money. They don't give money back, it's like a corporation. There are plenty of online classes at state universities and community colleges that I think would be better and would encourage you to explore.
jaelynntanamom
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:54 PM
I am taking classes online to get my associates degree in allied health science and i love it...it gives me more flexibility and i can do homework after the kids are in bed or when they are at school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JodyPagaz
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Be wary of online colleges. My husband is a director in the technology field. From when he worked for a university, a PD, womens website and now a research company (over the last 10+ years), when hiring many companies are extremely wary and more often than not. my husband either bothers and regrets it or doesn't bother wasting his time with people that have online degrees. Too many of these places teach you just enough, but sometimes not entirely enough to go some places. The best advice I can also give you is poke around any company/organization/government entity you wish to work with find out how they feel about online educations. Its a huge sore spot for my husband since it seems many he encounters were essentially coerced into thinking they were getting more of a education/demand and don't realize your trying to beat out those who went to physical universities that hold higher credibility. Its an unfortunate thing but allot of companies if they see 2 people and one went to a physical university, and one didn't they are most likely to choose the one who did.

As for me, I was scammed as a teenager, single mother trying to further my education into the business management field by a school I went to physically. I am still to this day fighting them lol

Just be careful is all I am saying (and also this is from someone who knows a few people who worked for U of P, I am originally from Arizona and moved to Maine in Feb this year. I know plenty of people who use these schools but they seem to get further by going into business themselves, or still having additional training elsewhere to get to where they want to be job wise.

(I myself and am thinking of at least taking some classes but will most likely try locally)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)