Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My three year old stuttering

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 121 Total Views

Hi my three year old started stuttering about three days ago.  She would speak fine before this.  I've read that it is normal for this to happened but I am just scared.  I look at my daughter and I feel sad.  I wish I could help her.  I am trying to do what I've read which is to repeat again what she just said slowly so that she understands how is supposed to be said. I don't tell her to stop repeating. But I am still worried  and scared. I've told my husband to do the same but he doesn't want to.  He wants to take her to a speech pathologist. We did talk to her pediatrician and she also said it was normal.  I am so scared this would never go away.  I am trying to be strong but sometimes is just hard.  My poor little one even has a inguinial hernia and just waiting for the referral.  Please if someone can give me some advise I would really appreciate it.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
5thlilone
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:09 AM

i have to admit that a speech therapist works, my son, when he was 2 1/2 he wouldn't talk right like his words were jumbled in a way. we couldnt understand what he was saying.   long story short now hes 6 and he doesn't what to stop talking. lol.

i wish you all the luck in the world.

MaruskaBaby
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:15 AM

i dont know what to tell you really. but i will let you know that you and your daughter are in my prayers. hope EVERYTHING turns out wonderful.

BARBARA MARUSKAlove you sign

Onyx23
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much to both of you.  I will try the speech therapist.

EvelynP
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The Stuttering Foundation has great information on their web site including if and when a child needs to see a speech therapist.  Sometimes it is just a normal stage of development and speech therapy is not needed.  There are great tips for parents about talking with toddlers, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)