Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way... what do you think?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

My son is 7 and in the 1st grade.  He's a super smart kid! He loves to fix things and take things apart! lol... He tends to shut down when he gets mad, but he's a sensitive little guy when it comes to getting in trouble, he's always my first kid to apologize when he upsets one of us.  

With all that being said, I had to send his teacher an emil the other day because he got upset in the morning.  He didn't want to get out of bed and he didnt want to get dressed and when he finally did, he wanted to play video games and it was time to leave. Needless to say, he hug and kissed me, but was still upset.  I like to warn the teacher on days like this kuz he will go to school with a chip on his shoulder all day and that's a hard day for the teacher.  She didnt send anything back that day and he came home eith a green mark for a good day, I assumed all was well.  Today I got an email back from her in response to the one i wrote her days ago.  She told me that he was really well behaved this week, but for the 2nd time this year brought up the fact that he has "a hard tome focusing" on work.  She said that she has been testing him out in the hallway so that she can do it verbally and that she didn't want it to become a "norm" for him because not all teachers will do that.  She says that he "rushes through his work  and has to be asked ro re-do some of it because it's sloppy." She mentions several times that his lack of focus is affecting his grades. 

Now, I have a daughter that is in 4th grade that has been on medication for ADD since last year, and believe me, she should have been on it much longer, but I wanted to try all other methods to control the issue. We even went as far as a year of a child councilor. She chose the meds and she chooses if and when she needs them. (Before anyone gets their panties ina bunch, she is on a non-continous medicine and the peditircian is aware she is not taking ir regularly and is ok with it.) However- I see NONE of the same behaviors with my son.  At home, he is the one kid that keeps to himself. He like to play sports and grasps the concept of most of them.  He loves cars and can name any one you point out.  I sit and read with him a lot and he is not of fan of reading out loud, especially in front of groups.  His best friends are our neighbors boys (who are 9 & 11).  I sit and do homework with him and he gets almost everything right, but in school, he rushes and fails.... I'm frusterated. This teacher, without saying it fully, I feel is indicating that my son's attention span deserves medication. I JUST DON'T SEE IT AT HOME!!! I would like to assume that maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion, but I feel like this teacher is picking on my 1st grader because he needs more attention. I would love to hear what some of you think of this situation~ Her exactwords were, "He's capeable of learning the information, but refuses to apply himself in the classroom." 

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
DomesticDoll
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Well first of all I want to ask why didn't that teacher tell you her plan of "testing" him in the hall way before doing it!!! Especially if she KNEW that other teachers wouldn't accommodate that in the future!!!! She should of called you and informed you p what her idea was of putting him in the hall!! I would of been seriously pissed!!!! I have a daughter who is ADHD and had Tourette's - she had issues with paying attention and does not take medication because it makes her facial ticks due to Tourette's worse- our decision on stopping the meds and her pediatrician said it was ok. And she's not as bad as she use to be. I prefer now that my daughter is in 8th grade not to tell the teachers about her being ADHD unless there is a problem or issue- and there hasn't been. But for a teacher to assume or suggest that a child is ADD IS WRONG their degree is in education Not Physician!!! The teacher only knows your child's behaviors at school not home life. I would explain to her that and tell her "this is how he is at home-.... Exct"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM

some kids because they are super smart tend to get lazy because the work isnt challenging enough for them.  Ask the teacher to offer him more difficult assignments and see how he does and maybe he just needs to skip a grade or go into the gifted class, etc.

fla33023
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM
He sounds bored. I too would see what he does with more challenging work. He also may do better with a smaller class size.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EducatedMommie
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I agree with DomesticDoll that the teacher should have contacted you before taking such a radical approach to "helping" your son.  Singling him out the way that she is will most likely only make the situation worse because he will feel as though there is something wrong with him.  I have a first grader myself and they are so aware of their social interactions.  My oldest daughter grew up with ADD/ADHD and it is definitely not something that is only seen at school.  I would say that there is one of two things going on here.....either he is bored as suggested by the other people that responded or he is having problems with his teacher (which doesn't seem to far off the mark) or other students in the class.  I would ask for a face to face meeting with the teacher and if you aren't satisfied with that then I would suggest getting the principal and school counselor involved!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)