Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler bed help!!!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 212 Total Views
How did you help your child make the change from a crib I a toddler bed??? Because my son just throws a fit but he would climb out of the crib so we changed to the toddler bed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MixedCooke
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

well we actually have a day bed and often used that to change and would sit and read the bedtime stories, etc. there, so I just put up bedrails and added a step to make it easier to climb onto.  When she was smaller, I gave her my sleep shirt so she had Mommy scent for comfort and she also has a Tigger plush as her lovey.  A standing fan and soft lullabye music (on a timer) for white noise.  I also stick to the same routine so she knows it is time for nap/bedtime.  Its actually harder to transition my hubby than it is for me to transition her because he still insists she is a baby and still puts her in the crib!  I think I am going to have to break down the crib myself and put it in the garage before he will do it! 

mommy_to_be_89
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Well after lots of crying I went and layed on the floor by the bed and with in 2 mins he was out
ms_aleah
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Routine

Positive Reinforcement ... verbal and reward system for staying in bed

Make a big deal out of how big kid it is.  Show him how friends kids sleep in toddler beds already and all that...

Be patient.... but the shirt under a sheet still works for scent and comfort.... let him do something to make the bed his ... like put sticker or name plate on it .... add nightlight nearby....and have him "show off" his bed to visitors ... will make him more interested too.

Good Luck

sue9607
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:23 AM
1 mom liked this

well you did the right thing for safety purposes... a toddler falling from a crib is not good, yikes...  my boys once they started crawling outta the crib went into the big boy bed, mattress and box spring on the floor to start, pillows on the floor incase they fell out during sleep, and I had to read a bedtime story, turn out the light, and sit for a bit until they got sleepy.  Next day, they got a sticker to put wherever they wanted in their room for being such a big boy... and lots of praise from mom and dad...kids love to hear how great they are and how proud we are of them... how old is your son?  My eldest, I did have to lay down with him for awhile before he got used to the big boy bed, and I always had a night light for him, kept his door open, and mine too, so that he knew he was within a calls reach.  Reassure him you are near and keep the praise going, and sticker or whatever you choose to be rewards of his accomplishment every night!  Good luck, all the best, it'll happen!x

MADMomma1975a
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM

We didn't have a choice, our crib was on a recall so one weekend while he was away we went to the store and traded it in for a toddler bed.  When he came home I made a big fuss about how he was such a big boy that now he had his own big boy bed that he could get into and out of without mommy's help.  I took pictures of him sitting and laying in it so that it would be fun for him.  Although I think he was already used to sleeping in a bed from when he would spend the night with his grandmother, he sleeps in her bed, or the weekend down the beach with her and her sisters, they have one of the bedrooms set up with twin beds that they put a guard up on so he wouldn't fall out of it at night.

mommy_to_be_89
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Thank you ladies a lot we are still working on it but we are getting there. He is 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)